No Power and High EGT's Please give Me some Advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 08:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No Power and High EGT's Please give Me some Advice

I will try to explain this the best I can. When my truck shifts from 4th gear to 5th gear (at about 45 mph) and I'm on a slight incline I loose all power. I have to put the pedal to the floor so it will downshift and I get power back. And if I'm doing 50 and hit a slight incline I don't have any power there. Again I have to get it to downshift just to maintain my speed. Also, when I am on this incline and doing 50 mph just trying to maintain speed but not let it downshift by putting my foot in it I'm getting black smoke puffing out. This isn't blinding smoke where people behind me can't see, it's just a little puffing out the tail pipe and I can see it in my mirrors. Towing a 4k trailer I am getting egt's around 900-1000 on pretty level terrain. Do I have a leak somewhere? I feel like I'm getting a hissing that usually is not there. I hope someone knows what I'm talking about. I tried to explain it the best I can and I appreciate all the help. I have a dp tuner and it's on the econo tune. I also have a DIY intake but this hissing is not turbo surge. Also 4'' exhaust. Thanks again for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like a boost leak. Check all your connections on turbo, intercooler, etc.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
check your up pipes.. you def have a leak somewhere... also what are your boost numbers at during this time? 900-1k is not hot at all... whats the max EGT's you have seen and what are you using to monitor the EGT's? probe is in the exhaust manifold right?
Old 09-14-2010, 09:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes the probe is in the exhaust manifold. I usually see 700-800 on the egt's. The highest I've let it go is about 1250 before letting off. My tube came off the back of my gauge for the boost (I know, I've been putting if off) so it's not registering.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlukasavige172 View Post
Yes the probe is in the exhaust manifold. I usually see 700-800 on the egt's. The highest I've let it go is about 1250 before letting off. My tube came off the back of my gauge for the boost (I know, I've been putting if off) so it's not registering.
those numbers are not high at all... they are prefectly normal... high egt's would be over 1300.. you can drive all day at 1200 egt's.... connect your boost line and see what your boost temps are at.... could also be your trans going out... what are your trans temp looking like?
Old 09-14-2010, 09:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My trans temps are really high. Towing a car trailer with a car on it (3K) I'm seeing 200-210 on a 100 degree day. But I just ordered a bypass valve for the tranny and I'm putting in a 6.0L cooler on Friday. The trans doesn't seem to be slipping or at least not that I can tell. I'm hope it's nothing to do with the trans. I don't have that kind of money right now.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

200+ is def not somewhere you want to be... the cheapest thing you can try now is connect your boost line back up and see what your boost numbers are towing the same ammount... if your getting pretty good boost and you still dont have any power its time to look into something else... could possibly be your trans is slipping...

-Raul
Old 09-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What kind of boost numbers should I be seeing? I have to go to Salt Lake from Denver this weekend so I will pay attention to it. When I'm empty my trans is around 160 on a 70 degree morning after driving for 30 minutes. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

normal temps is around 80 degrees over outside temps.... and your EGT's dont seem hot at all.. about normal where they should be... with the chip you should easily be able to see 22psi in boost... if you had a boost leak you would be seeing a pretty good amount of smoke and EGT's way higher than that...

but... it wouldnt be a bad idea to check your up pipes for leaks...

a 6.0L trans cooler will drop those temps considerably...

-Raul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.