Oil Leak in work truck - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 08:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Leak in work truck

Me? I'm a tuned 6.4 guy, but I've been elected to try to repair our plow/dump truck here at work... I guess since I own a diesel that makes me the candidate (wtf???)

Anyway, I just finished reading CATGUY'S post and that's about where we are at with our truck. Already had the rear main replaced (at least we took it to be replaced... whether or not the shop actually did it remains to be seen) and have been advised to work on the seals and hpop. but we can't see much oil in that area, and the plug/bolt on the hpop is dry. So in the process of getting to the turbo pedestal, i found that there is oil in the intercooler lines as well as between the airbox and turbo. That's not supposed to be there, right???? My 6.4 is pretty new and my first diesel, so I've never had to mess with the turbo. Chance that there is a seal inside the blower that is shot?

Any other thoughts?
***Free tickets at our theater to anyone that solves our plow truck oil problem!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2010, 01:44 PM

There is supposed to be oil in the intercooler lines. The 7.3 uses a passive crank case ventilation that feeds into the cold air tube. Oil condenses into the lines - you will always find it on the boots. There is a weep hole in the back of the valley - any oil leak from the HPOP or turbo pedestal will find its way back, down the weephole, and down the back of the motor. Inexperienced 7.3 mechanics always go for the rear main seal even though that rarely is the problem. Watch this video to see where these buggers leak. (Just a personal jab while I'm here - the 6.4 is a weanie motor compared to the 7.3 )

POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners
Old 09-14-2010, 06:32 PM

Hmmm. Supposed to be oil in the intercooler tubes, eh? Not good for my diagnosis... GREAT VIDEO though. Not finished watching part 2 yet.

Since my first post, I have the turbo off. There is at least 1/4 inch of play in the turbo shaft. Just food for thought. Pedestal is still on. O-rings on the pedestal look good. Was a b#tch getting that back clamp off of the exhaust tubes.

Tomorrow, I plan on checking out the pedestal, specifically the backpressure rod, its got alot of oil on it. I assume there are seals at the bottom of the pedestal- probably check that out too.

Weenie motor? Maybe, but this dump truck I am working on is a total TURD. But I suppose it all depends what your into. If you want to pull hitch to hitch, I'm probably not your guy... but if you wanna line 'em up, I'm in!!!
Old 09-14-2010, 06:36 PM

Another thing to think of - diesel leaks up top will pick up oil residue on their way down - sometimes can fool you. Check the fuel bowl drain valve really good. Its a frequent source of diesel leaks. Also, sometimes the HPOP gasket itself will leak - hard to get a good look up under the HPOP to diagnose this.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:22 AM

The jury has returned, and the verdict is fuel line seal, passenger side, by firewall.

...Hope I can get this thing back together now...

Thanks for all your advice. Between your advice and the powerstrokehelp videos, I got er figured out.

If you're ever in Branson, MO, I'll have your show tickets ready...
Old 09-15-2010, 11:26 AM

Just remember the two cardinal rules of diesel mechanics -

1. If it won't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway

2. Correct torque specs - tighten it until it breaks, then back off half a turn.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dray8165 View Post
Just remember the two cardinal rules of diesel mechanics -

1. If it won't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway

2. Correct torque specs - tighten it until it breaks, then back off half a turn.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:02 AM

what's e statup procedure for these 7.3's once air has gotten in the fuel lines? Same as 6.4L? 6x for 30 secs?
Old 09-16-2010, 08:13 AM

There isn't a defined startup, but turn the key on to allow the fuel pump to run, then off again several times to allow the fuel system to purge the best it can. Then crank 20-30 intervals, allowing the starter to cool between successive tries. Not just six times, but until it starts. (What do you do on the 6.4 if it doesn't start the sixth time? Throw it away and get a new one? )
Old 09-16-2010, 01:40 PM

If my 6.4 doesn't start? Hmmm. Never been in that situation, but if I were, I'd take the Harley. V-rod, that is... and I'll line that up too if ya want! lol

But seriously. Leak is fixed. At least the "trail" of oil (which turned out to be fuel) behind the truck is gone. Still a couple of drips of oil underneath after test drive. May have been residual from before. ...Can't see it from my house!

Thanks again for your help, advice, sarcasm, and poking fun at my little 6.4.

And correct... if it doesn't fit, force it. Worked like a charm! Fittin' hammer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.