stalls after 30 seconds - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 02:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy stalls after 30 seconds

I have a 2003 f350 with 7.3.Truck will start but check engine light is on then it will stall after about 30 seconds.Will start back right away but only 30 seconds at atime.Eventhough check engine light is on there are no codes stored.has new cam position sensor,new fuel filter,recently changed oil and air filter.Truck only has 33k miles on it.Not sure what to check next.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by garysf350; 09-12-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If your CEL is ON there Are codes present. My guess is you're trying to use a Generic OBD-II reader on it and they're NOT what you need. Your truck will not be able to be properly read by anything but a professional reader (NOT what AutoZone uses)

Find a Snap-On, AutoEnginuity, Mac, or Fords scanner for a diagnosis.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for your reply.I do have a generic obd-II reader that has always worked before.Had truck at the dealer 3 months ago and it showed no codes then also. if you turn light off with truck running it will then continue running but idles very rough until turned off then when restarted light is on and it stalls after 30 seconds, but i will check and see if someone i know has a different reader.Dont think i will be going back to to dealer since my opinion is it should be warrantied with only 33k miles,but they would rather not stand behind their product.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

sorry should have said my obd reader is from mac
Old 09-13-2010, 03:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm not sure which Mac scanner you have, I honestly don't know enough about them....

The only scanner I'm aware of for less than $500 that would properly read our trucks is the AutoEnginuity. I'd think the Mac version would have to be a couple of grand (I know the Snap-On one is) to do it. None of the "generic" OBD-II scanners will do it right. I guess it could pull some of the codes but not the diesel specific ones for the 7.3

Are you saying the dealership said there were no codes present when you had it there and the CEL was ON then too? - I've never heard of that If the light came ON, even if it goes off by itself, there should always be a stored code for it, at least for a while - AFAIK....

I think you're right to find another scanner to try on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.