2000 7.3 works when check engine light on, not when off - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2010, 10:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 7.3 works when check engine light on, not when off

Hi!

First of all congrats for this great forum.

I just bought a 2000 7.3 turbo diesel crew cab lariat, when i bought it it came with the service engine light on, I drove it for 5-6 days on the city without experiencing any problems, I took it to the road and after a 40-50 miles the light went off, when I stopped it started with a rough idle, tach needle moving crazy, turn it off, then started again without any problem and the check engine light was on again, that happen during my 800 mile trip like 3-6 times sporadically the problem went away just by pressing the gas pedal BTW.

Then on my way back things change, when I was on the freeway at around 60-75 MPH it started to fail as if it were on bad timing or something, but never lost power or anything, thats when I noticed that the light went off, I reduced speed and around 60 mph the light turned on again and everything felt correctly, that happen again during the trip 8-10 times, everytime the light went off the engine failed on high rpm until the light came on, the last four hours of the trip the light never went off again and the truck just worked perfectly.

BTW I stopped at an AutoZone and they couldnt get the codes.

Sorry for the long story and for my very bad english, of course zero diesel experience.

Hope anyone can give an advice. Thanks.

MexSox
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i have the same issue, any ideas anyone? seems like it should be the other way around, SES light on because it runs rough
Old 10-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Serving Our Country!

Just a shot in the dark here. I dont know the symptoms of a failed cps failure but have you had your camshaft position sensor replaced for the recall?
Old 10-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

uvc

Check the uvc harness under the valve covers it could be coming loose maybe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.