Help diagnosing AE codes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help diagnosing AE codes

I have a 2001 van with a Powerstroke. I have recently had some trouble with very rough running and even at times it won't even start. I got an AE scan tool and these are the results I got. I've worked on Cummins engines quite a bit, but I'm new to the Powerstroke and I would appreciate some help.

The injector buzz test seemed normal to me. All of the injectors made the same noise.

P1294 injector high side open-bank 2
P1670 electronic feedback signal not detected
P1316 injector driver module codes detected

Cylinder Contribution Tests
1st time P0263 cylinder 1 injector circuit contribution/balance fault
2nd time P0278 cylinder 6 injector circuit contribution/balance fault

The common theme here is that there is something going on with the injectors. I just don't know enough to decide based on these results if it is just a bad injector, a bad sensor somewhere, or a fuel pump/pressure issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2010, 05:41 PM
Powerstroke Techie

What codes did you get on your buzz test? The 1294 means that you have an issue with the power circuit to your left hand bank of injectors from the idm (injector driver module) pink/yellow wire. The 1670 means that the idm is not receiving a signal from the injectors that they fired. The 1316 means that there are idm codes but you need to run a buzz test to retrieve them. I would be looking at the uvc (under valve cover) harness on the left bank.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I did a bunch of searching and I think it is the uvch too. I'm going to look at that and see if it fixes it. I'll run the scan over again and see what codes come up during the buzz test.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was able to remove the drivers side valve cover and look at the harness. It was noticeably loose. I pushed it in all the way and used a quarter to shim the plug. I ran the diagnostic tests again and it appears that things have changed, but I still have something wrong.

No Diagnostic Trouble Codes Present

Cylinder Contribution Test
P0278 Cylinder 6 Injector Circuit Continuity/Balance Fault

KOEO and Injector Buzz Tests
P1272 Cylinder #2 High to Low Side Open
P1276 Cylinder #6 High to Low Side Open
P1278 Cylinder #8 High to Low Side Open

Switch Test
P1536 Parking Brake Switch Circuit
P0220 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch B Circuit
P1780 Transmission Control Switch(O/D Cancel) Circuit Out of Self Test Range
P0571 Cruise Control/Brake Switch A Circuit
P0703 Torque Converter/Brake Switch B Circuit
P0565 Cruise Control On Signal

The Switch Test results are the same as the first time. I just did not include them in my first post. Do I have another problem on my hands with all those codes? Also, I don't have cruise right now, but I would like to add it. What is the best way to add cruise control at this point? Thanks
Old 09-15-2010, 06:13 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Cyl 2,6, and 8 are on the driver's side. It sounds like you have an issue with the valve cover and uvc harness. I would replace them and retest. If you really wanted to you could swap the harness and valve cover from the other side.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Last week I replaced the driver's side valve cover gasket and uvch. I cleared all the old codes and test drove it for a day. By the end of the day it was already acting up again. It still dies and runs roughly on an intermittent basis. I ran all the diagnostics again and I only have one code now.

Cylinder Contribution Test
P0278 Cylinder 6 Injector Circuit Continuity/Balance Fault

What do you think this means? I appreciate the help. I really want to get my van running right!
Old 10-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

looks like the #6 showed problems in all your tests and with the new harness it's still acting up i would replace the injector
Old 11-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Time for an update.

I continued to have problems since my last post. I wasn't convinced that it was just the #6 injector so I kept driving it to see if it would really act up again and it eventually did. At that time I ran the diagnostics again.

Long story short, I had all sorts of codes relating to the even numbered injectors (left bank) and IDM codes.

I decided to order a high voltage/freq IDM from Swamps. I put it on last night. When I took my old IDM out I noticed that it was full of water. After I put the new IDM in, the van fired right up and seemed to run pretty well. Much better than it had been at least.

Problem is, I still don't think its running perfectly. I ran the diagnostics this afternoon and I got a whole new set of codes.

KOEO and Buzz Tests
1271,1272,1273,1274,1275,1276- cylinders 1-6 high to low side open
The injectors make the same noise during the Buzz test. They have equal volume and tone.

Cylinder Contribution
P0278 cyl 6 injector circuit contribution/balance fault

So basically I still have that same cylinder 6 fault as I always have. Maybe a bad injector?

The weird thing is now I have a problem with the right bank which I never had before. The only change was the new IDM. Any thoughts? I definitely think my old IDM was bad, but does my new one have problems too, or more likely do I still have some other electrical problem.

Last edited by shoffs30; 11-04-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

the #6 needs a new injector as for the new codes the new IDM might have been too much for the wiring harness on the passenger side bank you might also check the wire loom going from the IDM to the valve covers to make sure you don't have a short
Old 02-28-2011, 09:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

UPDATE

I ended up sending the Swamps IDM back because it was still causing problems. I got a new one from them and all the weird codes went away except for cyl 6 contribution. I decided to replace the injector. The code is still present. I've checked the wire for cyl 6 from the IDM to the uvch and it has good continuity. I've had a couple CPS on with no changes. The symptoms while driving is slightly low power and some studdering after the van shifts into overdrive. I don't know where to go from here. I've been working with a Ford mechanic and he is out of ideas too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.