2002 7.3 hard/no start even on a warm day - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2002 7.3 hard/no start even on a warm day

I have a friend who's 2002 f550 with manual trans. truck won't start. IF you plug the block heater overnight it starts without hesitation or any other issues. If you leave it unplugged , you won't get it started to save your life! he says if he uses a small shot of ether it will start , but it litteraly sounds like it is running on 2 cylinders makes almost no noise, and there is no throttle response, until engine temp comes up.If you unplug the EOT sensor the truck will take off and run just fine but it will blow tons of black smoke for a few seconds. I know by doing this it defaults the EOT signal. We replaced the EOT sensor , but it still does this. today I pulled the glow plugs to see if they worked , all the glow plugs were working great , I even ran them through the wire/harness to make sure they were getting their power feed.Does anybody have any ideas? I am really stumped .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2010, 09:59 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
check the glow plug relay?
Old 09-06-2010, 08:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes I checked the GPR , the wierd part is if you don't plug the truck in over night and try to start, it won't . Unplug the EOT sensor which controls injection timing and fuel delivery, (amongst many other things ) it will blow black smoke , and fire off and run like a raped ape. It has to be something in relation to that , what exactly ? I don't know.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
take the sensor off and see if the tube is clogged up.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

what is the eot sensor? my 2000 7.3 has same symptoms. no plug in no start. then runs horribly till engine warms up. plug in overnite starts up perfect. cant find any solutions or ideas.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

[QUOTE=lineman85;2067881]what is the eot sensor? QUOTE]The EOT Sensor* is Engine oil Temp. and it is located on the back side of the HPOP reservoir, It measures oil temps and provides data to the the PCM for several different functions including cold start issues.

As for just starting out trying to find a solution , you should check into the Glow Plug relay to make sure it is operating correctly. and then move on.The more common issues are Glow plugs, and GPR. if those test out to be ok , then you have to start to dig deeper. Good Luck
Old 02-18-2011, 12:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via Skype™ to proteegolf
Same problem

I have a 2002 Excursion. I changed the GPCM and all 8 glow plugs. Truck will not start cold even when 50 degrees out. I am very frustrated and disappointed. It will only start when I plug it in for 3 hours. Where is the EOT located? I"m hoping that is it. I hate to change the PCM. My check engine light is on also. The truck runs like a deer when it is warm. Any ideas?
My friend put an OBD2 scanner on it last week and we kept getting error messages. I like to say I am also disappointed that Ford built all their Excursion diesels to meet CA emmission which means they all have a GPCM instead of a GPR. THis meant $150 VS $40. for me. All the F250 and F 350 trucks have GPR's. If my truck is doing it, I am sure there are many others out there with the same symptoms. Any help appreciated. Mark.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You friends OBD-II scanner isn't up to the task.....

Our trucks are Not, strictly, OBD-II despite the connector. Unfortunately, the proper scanner isn't easy to outside professional shops (AutoZone and the like aren't going to have it either)

If your light is ON, go find somebody with the right equipment and have them pull the codes to know what's going on.....
Attached Thumbnails
2002 7.3 hard/no start even on a warm day-sensorlocations.jpg  
Old 02-18-2011, 02:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Might as well add another person to this list as I am fighting the battle as well. However mine doesnt have a block heater so I do not get to try that. For a while there it wouldnt start at all and now I can get it to light off with 3 cycles of the glow plugs. I pass all the glo plug tests and suspect the relay on that issue. Mine is a bit more complicated as it died twice while driving after leaving me stranded once. I replaced the cam sensor with no luck and now am on to rebuilding the IPR as well as putting a new ICP on it even though I unplugged it and it still didnt fire... I stumbled on this while trying to find something on upgrading the GPR to a 6.0 one. I would have sworn I have seen that before but
Old 02-18-2011, 07:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have no such luck in fixing mine yet either , however the answer to your EOT question is ..... Your EOT sensor is located on the back side of your HPOP reservoir, next to the fuel filter housing.I am thinking that with mine I amy be dealing with a PCM issue because I have had a couple of times that the engine would start like it was supposed to for three or four days without being plugged in, but after that we are back at square one . Ihave replaced the GPR the air intake heater solenoid , confirmed the GP's work. EOT sensor and ICP sensor. At this point in time I think I would be better off to trade off the truck and buy a Cummins or a Duramax. This is rediculious. And Ford can't tell me nothing , without testing they want to change out the injectors , that is entirely too much money to guess at !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.