pesky code 1211 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 08:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question pesky code 1211

We are working with a small bus on a 450 cutaway chassey. No other mods all factory. Bus oil is serviced every 45days and same oil is used in entire fleet. When bus is under load you get a code 1211. The fuel system has been gone though. All filters cleaned or replaced. Fuel pump & reg have been replaced. IPR & ICP have been replaced & fuel ck valves in head have been cked. Fuel pres is never less then 55psi under load. I've graphed the icp & ipr and can see a slight droop in icp just before cel comes on and then a high spike after my foot comes out of it. Ipr is tring to compensate durning the droop. My question is : Is the droop in hpo due to a bad hpop , filter screen or possible injector oring?? On the oring subject no lose of oil noted and no signs in fuel. If I disconnect oil line and presureize oil rail should I hold at least shop air pres??: thanks Votran John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2010, 08:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

check the PCM to see if it has a chip in it. My 03 e550 had one when I bought it..didn't know it was there and they will always throw that code when pushing it under a load..ie going up hill and trying to maintain speed. if it does have a chip..the light usually goes out within 3-5 miles after cresting the hill. If this is the case, the chip itself causes the ese light to go on..you can ignore it..no harm no foul.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

my 7.3 reman is doing the same as votran john's like his, all pressures, sensors, ect. check out good, only thing left is hpop filter screen and pick-up in tank. mine has NO chip. will check out the 2 things and keep everyone informed will also keep my eye on this thread.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Premium Member

A P1211 can be related to several things, not just a chip. Some examples are...

1. Weak HPOP (Extremely common in high-milers)
  2. Clogged screen (Also pretty common in poorly maintained vehicles)
  3. Leaking ICP sensor (Causes ICP to read lower than expected)
  4. Weak IPR solenoid (Difficulty maintaining ICP)
  5. Stuck IPR valve (Causes excessive ICP)
  6. Excessive Pulsewidth in chip calibration (Very common with aggressive tuning)
  7. Inadequate IPR control in chip calibration (Also very common in aggressive tuning)
One thing to remember is that P1211 is "ICP out of range", which means that it can be lower or higher than what the PCM is requesting. Most people assume the problem is low ICP, and it usually is. However, to get the real root of the problem you'll need a device that can monitor ICP, IPR and PWM (Pulsewidth) and then from there you can pin down where the weak link is.

Be sure to check your ICP sensor for signs of leakage. That's quickly visible and easy to fix. Also check your IPR for a missing solenoid locknut. The tend to fall off from time to time and the solenoid will slide back and forth on the IPR valve and cause all sorts of mayhem.

I hope this helps.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

All great points thanks for your input. I understand the correlation between IPR & ICP but where does pwm factor in. Is it a barometer of eng load?? I have other well running 7.3 in my fleet and can stack the graph of these 3 pids and can see how they all correlate.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well final chapter to story. HPOP took care of problem. The high IPR & ICP spike I was seeing in my graph was from the injectors turning off after I took my foot off the accelerator. The injectors will shut down causeing a sudden back pres in HPO system. Whicjh is normal. The telltale sign was the droop just before the CEL and just before the high spike. This would be a tough one to diagnose with out a graphing scanner. But thanks to all your input we can send this one out there for everyone else.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
A P1211 can be related to several things, not just a chip. Some examples are...

1. Weak HPOP (Extremely common in high-milers)
  2. Clogged screen (Also pretty common in poorly maintained vehicles)
  3. Leaking ICP sensor (Causes ICP to read lower than expected)
  4. Weak IPR solenoid (Difficulty maintaining ICP)
  5. Stuck IPR valve (Causes excessive ICP)
  6. Excessive Pulsewidth in chip calibration (Very common with aggressive tuning)
  7. Inadequate IPR control in chip calibration (Also very common in aggressive tuning)
One thing to remember is that P1211 is "ICP out of range", which means that it can be lower or higher than what the PCM is requesting. Most people assume the problem is low ICP, and it usually is. However, to get the real root of the problem you'll need a device that can monitor ICP, IPR and PWM (Pulsewidth) and then from there you can pin down where the weak link is.

Be sure to check your ICP sensor for signs of leakage. That's quickly visible and easy to fix. Also check your IPR for a missing solenoid locknut. The tend to fall off from time to time and the solenoid will slide back and forth on the IPR valve and cause all sorts of mayhem.

I hope this helps.
good stuff there i think my ICP sensor is leaking alittle
Old 11-15-2010, 07:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ipc, ipr, all check out. dropped tank to check pick-up, clean, went ahead and did tank mod while in there and installed sinister inline filter. took truck to independent shop, checked high pressure oil system, it was within specs., scanned system and found bad map sensor, replaced. pulled long hills between santa fe and alb. did great, plenty of power, no cel. i just don't know if the inline filter or the map sensor solved the problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.