Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Oppion of AutoEnginuity OBD2 for me.

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Jarrod B 
#1 ·
Let me start by saying I am new to diesels. Other than minor repairs and tuneups I have not done my own mechanical work scence the mid 70's. I have just purchased a 2001 F-350 Dually.
The shop I just had my truck at had a scanner of a different brand and he started out saying the HPOP was bad. Then said the IPR, Then 1 injector, Then another injector. I bought all new injectors at that point. Then he got it to start. let it idle for 15 minutes and it through a rod (it was ruff but just idling). Lots of smoke but I expeted that from changing the injectors. I purchased a used motor with 115K miles and it is now installed in it.

From everything I have been reading the AutoEnginuity is the best for checking things on these trucks.

My question is if I had a AutoEnginuity could I have saved trouble by checking it before he started working on it? If the truck won't start will it show the things that are bad? Will I be able to understand what it is telling me?

With what I have spent I could have been well on the way to having purchased a long block instead of a used motor.

I am thinking it would be a good investment to have one with the Ford (EI01) 1995-2009 bundle.

Any and all input would be appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
The AutoEnginuity is great software for the price, but you need to couple it with the knowledge of what is going on with the engine. Certainly, the throwing of a rod was a mechanical malfunction of some sort and couldn't be diagnosed with an electronic tool, but it may have saved you some coin on throwing parts at the original problem.

I would say get the Ford Bundle, start playing with it and ask questions and figure out what your engine is doing as part of normal operation, so you can readily identify when you have an abnormal reading. :twocents:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.