PLEASE HELP 02 f350 6 speed 57000 miles misses when idles - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
PLEASE HELP 02 f350 6 speed 57000 miles misses when idles

i have a 2002 f350 srw 6 speed with only 57000 miles on it....bought the truck brand new...never been drove in the winter...its got a 4 inch down pipe from the turbo and 5 inch straight pipe all the way back...took air box out and put in a big wix filter....its got a 140 horse ts 6 position chip custom tuned by schides diesel performance ...all performance has been done as soon as i bought the truck 8 years ago...last week it started missing when it idles..but soon as u give it any throttle it runs perfect....it has no check engine light and i cannot figure it out...ive been told that its an injector...but i wanted more options...whats wierd is when u first go start it in the morning it seems to run fine but the more it sits and warms up the miss get worse...its got fresh oil in it just changed the fuel filter....i even drained the fuel tank and put fresh fuel in it with 2 bottles of houls additive...it made no difference..any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2010, 07:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Your truck is spoiled.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i just wanted to add the truck does sit 5 months over a years time...don't want it in any salt...and also when its warmed up and missing..the more u turn up the chip the better the miss gets..but even on 140 horse it still misses very noticeably...i tried unplugging the ICP sensor....think i unpluged the rite one..between the valve cover and the fuel filter housing towards the front of the motor on drivers side.... when it was running and it didnt help...still missed and then the check engine light came on..once again any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks
Old 08-25-2010, 07:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yea it is spoiled haha..but its the last year of the 7.3s except very few in 2003...and i know that its gonna be impossible to find another f350 6 speed regular cab black with only 50000 miles on it...just wanted to make it last for a long long time...
Old 08-25-2010, 07:58 PM

Get an injector buzz test done. Then you will know which injector(s) have issues.

A bad IPR can cause an idle miss as well. You did the first part, which was unplugging the ICP sensor and if it does the same thing still, it usually indicates a bad IPR.

However, I recommend the injector buzz test to make sure all of your injectors are functioning properly. If you have keen hearing, you might be able to stick your head in the wheel well and listen to the injectors and a sticking injector is usually quite obvious.

edit: If it's an injector going bad, chances are it's the #8. Driver's side, rear-most injector is the #8.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK thanks for the info...yea when i unplugged the ipc it mite idled down a lil but nothing noticeable..do i haft to go to a dealership to get a buzz test done..or is there certain testers that will work to do it...if it was an injector wouldn't it miss at any rpm and not just at an idle..or when the motors cold or hot..ford told me that it was the diesel sitting around in the truck threw the winter without it being started..they said that it will end up ruining all the injectors...but i no they just want me to take them the truck so they can stick me with a 4000 dollar bill on 8 new injectors and who knows what else....it just blows my mind i have 2 more 7.3 superdutys ones a 99 f250 6 speed and the other ones a 2000 automatic..both of the have around 200000 miles on the and they both run perfect...never have had injector problems in either truck...and then the truck that is almost new with 50000 miles on it wont run rite..makes no since...lol..but thanks for the info i really appreciate it
Old 08-25-2010, 08:58 PM

Sometimes with a failing injector, the increased oil pressure in higher RPMs is sufficient to get the injector to stop sticking.

But anyway, any diesel shop that works on Power Strokes should be able to do a injector buzz test. I recommend doing that before spending $200 on an IPR or $300+ each for new injectors. IIRC a diagnostic scanner can also check IPR pressure to determine if it's bad. A tech should chime in here as I'm quite tired and don't remember the PSI the ICP sensor should read when checked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.