CEL when pulling hill with load - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CEL when pulling hill with load

i've got an 03 sd 7.3 auto with a reman. eng. still under factory warr. the problem is when pulling a long hill with 8,000lb trailer the CEL comes on and i start loosing power, (3rd gear). empty the truck runs great, no CEL, plenty of power. if you drop it down to 2nd before the CEL comes on it will pull any hill at 3500rpm all day long with NO CEL on. it's been to FORD many times and they can't fix it. p1211 keeps coming up, they have put in 2 hpop's, 3 inj., replaced 1 warped ex. man., new wastgate cylinoid that brought boost up to 19lb., new fuel pump, fuel filter, fresh oil and new filter, replaced ipr and ipc, new o-rings on all inj. this motor is stock, no chip, just 4in ex. and banks ex. brake. the problem was there before the ex. brake was installed.
the orig. engine had no problems at all with power loaded, unloaded, never a CEL even when it snapped 2 conecting rods at 88,000mi. (thats another story in itself).
the reman. eng. came complete with turbo, pumps, sensors ect. could the eng. blowing have affected the ecm?
all your help is much needed since FORD can't figure it out and 1 dealership won't even work on it anymore and the others just want to start throwing parts at it at my cost evan though the problems didn't start till the reman eng. was installed. i would be happy to pay for the fix if it's something else besides the eng. if it fixes the problem.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2010, 08:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had a similar problem, truck would run fine with no trailer, but as soon I tired to pull a large load, the same p1211 code and loss of power. After an IPR and a month at the stealership, they found the 'sock' or filters on the pickup and mixing chamber in the fuel tank were slightly clogged, causing fuel starvation under load. Check the volume of output from the fuel pump on the frame rail to diagnose without pulling the tank. Checking fuel pressure at that pump won't tell you anything, as even little fuel flow will create good pressure.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the suggestion, how would i go about checking volume? i know that when ford had it they checked pressure at the pump and it was 50psi and 45&46 at the heads. i also don't understand why in 2nd gear loaded it will pull all day long without CEL, but not in 3rd
Old 08-26-2010, 02:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i'm sure that there's a ford-approved way of checking the volume of fuel flow, but if you disconnect the fuel hose from the outlet of the fuel pump and attach a length of hose, and place the end of that hose in a bucket, the turn the ignition to the 'on' position without starting the truck, you should get a good idea of the volume of flow out of the pump. The computer will shut the pump off after a few seconds, so you may have to run 12 volt leads to the pump to make it run long enough to see what kind of flow you get. be safe and use non-sparking materials and have a fire extinguisher handy.
the fuel rail pump should put out a torrent of fuel. a trickle or thin stream would indicate a clogged pickup filter. when you drop the tank, do the in-tank fuel pickup modification to prevent this from happening again. i just bought the kit from sinister diesel - but you could get the pieces separately and make your own kit.

Sinister 7.3L Fuel Tank / Pre-Pump Kit
Old 08-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

pulled the fuel line off to check volume, it was a steady stream but i would guess it would take a good minute to fill a gal. jug
Old 08-28-2010, 06:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

being told by engineers at ford that i could have a internal oil leak in one of the injectors, and it can be found by unplugging them one at a time. does anyone know this to be true?
Old 09-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

update

screen and mixing chamber clean, going in to have hi-press. oil system checked for internal leaks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.