long crank problem. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 07:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question long crank problem.

I see there is not much traffic here but ill give it shot for some help.

i have a 02 7.3, it cranks over 2-3 times longer than it should when the truck has been off longer than 12 hours. when the truck is warm its fine. i checked the oil level in the hpop and it was 7/8 of an inch from the top wich i understand is ok and the hpop should not be bleeding off. i aslo dont have any oil or fuel in my antifreeze. im trying to rule out the injector cups/ O rings and leaning more towards glowplugs or ipr or? looking for some ideas thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am currently dealing with the same type if issue with a friends 02 7.3 pretty much exact complaint your having , I have not been able to figure it out yet. I pulled the glow plugs today and all four are working , even checked it through the valve cover/wire harness, to make sure no wire issues. if we leave the truck unplugged from the block heater overnight , even in 60-70 degree summer days , it still won't start, if he gives it a small shot of ether, it will start, but it runs like it is not getting fuel. absolutely no throttle response , until engine temps comes up , then it will slowly clear out. If we unplug the EOT sensor it will default the reading to the PCM and truck will take off like a raped ape. has me confused big time !
Old 09-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

sorry didnt realize you replied. Im still dealing with this issue mostly becouse i havnt had a chance to take it to a shop but i checked the batteries/ connections and the glow plug relay.all ok..ive been told from members on other site, its the injector O-rings and i think it may be that but i want to get it to a shop to confirm it. have you figured it out yet? thx
Old 09-13-2010, 11:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

yeah i would say its injector o rings, btw kory b, thest trucks have 8 glowplugs not 4.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah . what I meant was one side at a time " pulled 4 per head" thanks ..

No I haven't figured out my issue , Sat. it started perfect, Sunday Monday started perfect . then today back to square one . SOB it is irritating .
Old 09-19-2010, 05:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was just doing some glow plugs in a 95 when 3 broke on one bank. replaced head with used,did injector o-rings and all glowplugs and now seems like excessive blow by out of dipstick tube. Injector o-rings ???? we had new valves put in the used head and had all the seats done. do you thing that the increased compression could cause more blow by. engine has approx 120000miles. maybe cheap o-ring kit??
Old 09-19-2010, 05:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

oh yeah also has a long crank now before it starts but runs really nice once started.any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.