Pinned but wont go! (Tricky lots of details) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 06:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pinned but wont go! (Tricky lots of details)

Hey Everyone, new member, but been reading on the site for a while now to figure things out through other peoples troubles.

'01' 2wd F350 7.3L Stock with Auto Trans and Dual rear

Recent work - all since problem began, all to solve problem
Changed Fuel Filter
Changed Air Filter
Full Transmission Rebuild (Fall River Ford, MA) based on their recommendation
#8 & #3 Injectors replaced based on diesel fuel shop suggestion
Checked Wires through Valve Covers to Injectors Twice

Details -
Truck runs pretty good around town (under 2200 RPM). Get about 15MPG, no rough idle, no knocking, no shaking. If I bury the pedal from a stop or slow role, truck makes it through first fair, flattens out in second, sometimes third & wont shift. Just a complete loss of power and acceleration. If it does shift the trucks shifts hard. Hangs out around 2800 - 3000 RPM

Highway, again if I keep it down around 65 mph, so the RPMs stay low 2s the truck runs fair, at least for a couple of hours. If I try 70, i'm lucky to get twenty mins before the truck stops pulling its own weight up a tiny incline. She will shake, start knocking, and lose speed as fast as she can with the pedal buried. I stop losing speed at about 45 - 50 mph. The truck just needs to sit, either at idle or off. Ten mins or so & I can go back to 65 mph driving for hours.

On another note, last night I felt as though my temp gauge may not be reading correctly. It stays just below half ALL THE TIME. The gauge does not show any numerical value so I don't know how hot that would be. But when I got home I opened the hood and touched the shock holding the hood. It seemed very hot, everything seemed VERY HOT. Hotter than I would figure to be normal and it was not running well at the time.

Maybe a ECT problem or Engine oil Temp Sensor sending bad info to PCM? How would I check that?
The check engine light rarely if ever comes on. It wont stay on more than 5 mins unless I hammer on the truck. I did get it plugged into my OBD reader once with it on and received NO CODES. Very discouraging...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Guys - Brenden
Attached Thumbnails
Pinned but wont go! (Tricky lots of details)-gauge-cluster.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2010, 07:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

what kind of OBD reader are you using to pull the codes? You need to make sure that it will read manufacturer specific codes my old reader won't pull these on my 7.3 but will on my 6.0. I would get it on a good diagnostic computer that will allow you to monitor the EOT and ECT while driving if you suspect the gauge is inaccurate..

as for the truck studdering under a load i would check the injector drive module and the oil level in the HPOP reservoir right after the problem occurs sounds like the HPOP might be starving for oil or the ICP or IPR could be malfunctioning. a good diagnostic computer will let you monitor these as well.

hope this helps
Old 08-20-2010, 07:56 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Check fuel pressure if you can too.
And btw why did they replace injectors #3 and #8? those are the ones you codes on with a grey CPS, aka theres usually nothing wrong with them. Hope you didnt get ripped off on that one. Ouch.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ya me too man, guy had a good Diag computer hooked up and said those two were bad. They certainly looked like hell when i pulled them, but they aren't cheap. #3 had a bad O ring near the bottom.
I was given a number of a former head diesel tech in this area that still does work on the side. I'm going to give him a call this weekend and see if he can help me out with the right testing equipment. Thanks for the input
Old 08-21-2010, 08:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty218 View Post
Ya me too man, guy had a good Diag computer hooked up and said those two were bad. They certainly looked like hell when i pulled them, but they aren't cheap. #3 had a bad O ring near the bottom.
I was given a number of a former head diesel tech in this area that still does work on the side. I'm going to give him a call this weekend and see if he can help me out with the right testing equipment. Thanks for the input
If no codes show up with the right scanner then it might be time to drop the tank and do the in tank mods. Diesel Innovations - Products
Old 08-22-2010, 02:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like the sending unit in the fuel tank is stopped up. Drop tank, remove white filter assembly with 2 strainers and either clean them out or take the assembly off altogether. I've had 6 trucks in for almost this exact issue and it was the sending unit every time and some times the tanks needed replacement because of flaking or rusting. Check fuel pressure under load and if you see it drop under load to almost nothing you will confirm.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajpu1983 View Post
Sounds like the sending unit in the fuel tank is stopped up. Drop tank, remove white filter assembly with 2 strainers and either clean them out or take the assembly off altogether. I've had 6 trucks in for almost this exact issue and it was the sending unit every time and some times the tanks needed replacement because of flaking or rusting. Check fuel pressure under load and if you see it drop under load to almost nothing you will confirm.
Thank you - I haven't had a chance to get it checked yet - busy with work, but that is exactly what it feels like. Did you notice the Fuel level ever being an issue when this was happening? Full tank seems to run slightly better than when I'm down to a half tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.