Fuel Smell in Cab - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 08:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Smell in Cab

I am new to powerstrokes and diesels, but not mechanical things.

2001 Excursion 7.3 stock. 180K miles. It appears to have lived an easy well cared for life.

I just got this truck and so far I have replaced the front shocks and (carefully) pressure washed the engine bay (engine cool).

I have just filled the tank with fuel for the first time.

I have noticed that the cab smells like unburnt diesel, I have read somewhere here that this is indicitive of cracked up-pipes, which I take are the exhaust to turbo pipes. Is that right? And the best repair is the international pipes.

I haven't had the truck long enough to know what "normal" power or fuel consumtion is...but the lieometer says about 17mpg mixed city, and I seem to get in 19-21 on straight streches of higway, which seems to fall into line with what I have read (short streaches only, I haven't driven this truck much).

There was an oilly film through most of the engine compartment. The worst spot was the lower passenger site intercooler boot area. I cleaned the engine to determine the source(s) of the leak.

Is there anything else that I can trouble shoot that would confirm this, or is there any other cause?

Thanks for helping out a noobie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2010, 08:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If it's unburnt diesel, then it can't be the exhaust pipes leaking. That's burnt diesel.
The oil is probably from the crank case venting into the air intake tube before the turbo. Bad design idea. Nothing bad really.
There's a common problem with the fuel line from the fuel bowl to the back of the passenger side fuel rail. There's a bracket holding the line in place that rubs a small hole in the hard line.
Just get a new line and then wrap some rubber or something around the line where the bracket fits there so it won't rub anymore. That might be it.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:59 AM
Powerstroke Techie

First off the 7.3 did not have the up-pipes that crack. That was the 6.0 and the 6.4's. The oily film is caused by the oil that is being sucked up into the air intake through the ccv (crankcase vent). There are kits out there that modify it to stop the oil passage. The fuel smell is being caused by a fuel leak somewhere on the motor. I recommend degreasing the motor top and bottom and then look for your fuel leak. Probably the most common is the water drain valve on the back of the fuel filter housing. Once you get your fuel leak fixed that should help your fuel mileage increase just a little bit. The only accurate way to get fuel mileage readings is to keep track of how many miles on the tank and then divide by the number of gallons when you fill up. My brother has a 2002 F250 that he gets 20-21 mpg on long trips on the highway. My 97 F350 has an average of 17 mpg. It all depends on the truck and the gears.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK, thanks for the replies.

I poked around a little and found a touch of raw fuel under the plug at the rear of the filter housing, but there was no accumulation. I am away from the truck for the next week or so, but will continue to watch these areas.

One other question, could leaking intercooler boots give this condition?
Old 08-16-2010, 04:58 PM

No. Intercooler boots may leak oil that will accumulate from the crankcase venting into the air intake system but not diesel.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pup View Post
OK, thanks for the replies.

I poked around a little and found a touch of raw fuel under the plug at the rear of the filter housing, but there was no accumulation. I am away from the truck for the next week or so, but will continue to watch these areas.

One other question, could leaking intercooler boots give this condition?

Hello, This is my first time here on this forum. I wanted to say that I also had the smell of diesel in the cab and found that the filter bowl was leaking at the drain lever. It was not much of a leak but enough to stink up the cab. Once fixed I have not had the smell again
Old 08-22-2010, 10:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

check rad tank for fuel if there is could be injector cups had same problem this last winter
Old 08-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, I think it was as simple as bumping the drain lever when cleaning the engine. The replies sent me looking in the right direction and saved me some time (and money) so thanks again!
Old 08-23-2010, 07:02 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Sometimes it's the simple stuff that bites back hard.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:10 PM

look right by the front diff to for a drip you can get the oring kit for like 10 or 15 bucks online
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.