White smoke on 114K-mile 7.3L - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
White smoke on 114K-mile 7.3L

2001 SD F-250 SuperCrew 4WD, 7.3L (completely stock), 114K miles, automatic

We took Dad's SD for a 600-mile trip last Thursday and Friday. The oil had 2000 miles on it, and we checked it before we left. The oil level was half-way down the hatch-mark, so we had added a little over a quart of oil to top it off, and I think that we may have added a little too much. When we got to the hotel and got out of the truck while it idled, a lot of white smoke that smelled like burning oil (like when you spill oil on an exhaust manifold) was fogging out of the exhaust. It did this for a minute or two, then cleared up. All the way home (300 miles), about every time that I let off of the throttle either going down the interstate or stopping at a red light or stop sign, white smoke would pour out of the exhaust briefly, then stop when accelerating or in the throttle going down the road. The truck runs strong, starts and idles good, and no 'check engine' lights came on the dash.

Based on the above symptoms, Dad got this quote:

"Remove, complete rebuilt and install - $1,550 Taylor Diesel. 8 hour labor.........what do you think?"

I told him that it sounded high, and I would not schedule. Am I right?

How big of a job is it to pull the turbo? For this much - if a rebuild is needed, I'm inclined to believe that even on a stock engine, an upgrade like cangim mentioned would be better.

If seals are shot, does the turbo need a complete rebuild, or could I get a seal kit for the turbo and do it myself? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

with 114k it should just be broke nnnn.. iv got 620k on a 7.3 an it dosnt smoke,, before you start worring think of checking the turbo if thats good then do a compres check..

warm the motor up an pull the oil fill cap an dipstick while at idel, see how much blow bye it has.. i lil is ok..

also make sure the smoke smells like oil an not raw fuel..

my stock turbo when at 90k an ford replaced it for free..
Old 08-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm new to diesel repair, so I apologize for my ignorance, but how do I check the turbo?
Old 08-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

remove your air filter an intake wich clamps to the turbo (WITH THE MOTOR OFF) reach in to the turbo an spin the blades, try an move the shaft in an out an up an down, there should be verry little movment but the blades should spin EZ... also make sure there is no oil leaking anywhere around or in the turbo..
Old 08-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks. I'll check. How do I make sure that it's not fuel other that the smell? I assume that if it's oil smoke, I'll see oil in the turbo?
Old 08-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

well a fuel problem is a lil harder to tell.. if its fuel it should smoke more when its cold an clear up as it warms up..

what year is the truck? specs, any after market parts? chip?
Old 08-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It doesn't smoke more when it's cold. Really, it just smokes heavily for a minute or so after getting on the gas, whether it's going down the highway and stopping or goosing it. After you get off the throttle and it goes to an idle, white smoke pours out briefly, then it clears up. The truck is a 2001, completely stock, no chip or mods. It does look like someone put an aftermarket exhaust on it prior to 2003 when Dad bought it.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My bud has this same problem can i get you to write me a list of things to check GIMAMMOTH? i was goin to check the turbo and coolant to see if there oil and what not.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

2000 4 inch turbo back and a bull dog chip. I kno the glow plugs are not workin but thah just for start up rite? it does it when its warm on take off then goes away and when you let off. i think it needes injectors cuz it has 230000 miles on it.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i was also goin to start it up and see if theres any bubbles in the antifreeze to see if its the gaskets. if that works? sorry to push myself in guys just works out that it the same problem

Last edited by seymore smoke; 08-09-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.