Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

7.3 low power, pulled codes and need advice...

6K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  probuilder 
#1 ·
2003 7.3 with 230k has been running a bit weak, does fine under low power but very sluggish when towing. Had Ford run scan and found the following codes:
P0284 #8 contribution fault
P01298 IDM internal failure
P0476 EBPV -cleaned this out but still have the other problems.

So the first two what's my best path. After searching and reading on here my first thought is to get into the UVCH and check the connectors? Any other suggestions on how to proceed. I've had no CEL so that is why I'm hesitant on pulling the valve covers.

#3 ·
Do you have rough idle or interminate power loss with out towing?
Any white or blue smoke?
My thought is cause of the new epa diesel requirement try an diesel supplement bottle to raise the cetane level to an accepable level.
I run a fleet of Mack tri axles and this new diesel is robbing so much power from the trucks its crazy.Its all about emmissions now i guess.Try a bottle of diesel fuel supplement the next time you gas up and see if you notice a difference.

#5 ·
I ended up replacing the #8 injector first. Then went on a trip from Oh to NC. Truck ran like **** thru the WV mountains @ 60-65 mph (3.73 rear). On the return trip I kept the speeds @ 70-80 and truck ran great with better power. I also thought the knocking noise at idle was injector knock on #8 but that sound remained after changing injector.
Also my mileage was better keeping the truck @ 2000 rpm.
After this trip I swapped out the PCM to see if it made a difference and it did not change the engine performance.

While replacing the injector I closed off the CCV connection between valve cover and intake. I routed the ventilation hose to a vented "crap can". I did notice moderate oil residue on the intake hose and turbo blades.
Running the truck at idle produces a good amount of blow by out of the hose.
How much is normal? It is enough to see a white smoke/steam plum out from under the truck.

So now I thinking the following:
1. Turbo boost not kicking up until 1900-2000 (38GTPR) causing low power?
2. Problem w/ #8 cylinder compression (due to rings or valve causing lots of blow by and knocking noise @ idle)

Thoughts? Is it easy to check compression? Seems like #2 would cause more serious issues with starting or smoking in exhaust.:dunno:

#6 ·
Sounds like piston wash on number 8.
Do compression test see what it reads vs other cylinders.
If you have a knock most times its pre detonition so you cant rule out a faulty recon injector either.If it white smoke its timing or a non seal in the head, if its blue its rings rule of thumb but the direct injection compression engine can throw you.
See what a compression test results are and if the cylinder seems ok then look at the heads. Are you burning oil?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.