radiator or water pump - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
radiator or water pump

Hi all,

Have a 2002 Excursion 7.3L with about 89K on it. Live in Richmond, VA. I do have a DP Tuner and have it on 80 economy setting.

Now a little history on the truck - little that I know - Sarasota, FL truck - previous owner had some heating issues. Vehicle was owned by the wife of a trailer company owner. Sometimes it was used to move empty trailers (from car trailers to larger enclosed trailers) and it the temp would rise. She had the cooling system flushed(not sure what procedure was used or who did it) (at least what she told me over the phone). She said it never got into the red - always pulled over and let it cool back down. When I drove it back from Orlando last October it did this one time when I was in FL. Turned off the AC and slowed down and it eventually settled down after about 5-8 minutes. That was interstate driving - never pulled over. Obviously never had an issue over the winter.
Been chasing this overheating issue now. Installed a regular gauge ($17 - autozone) to let me know what the actual temp is. Did this in the extra port on the water pump.

Now it has been hot as heck here in Richmond, VA and driving around without AC and she is running 205-210. When it was 102 degrees out, I was driving aggressively and had the AC cranked I watched the temp gauge get to 235 before I killed the AC and cranked the heat and idled on the side of the road. She came back down to the 210-215 mark.
I did another test a few days go - low 90s outside. Got in and cranked the AC and let it idle - never got about 195 after 15 minutes. Drove about 6 miles and it got up to 215. Idled in a parking lot with AC on for 5 minutes and it stayed there. Turned AC off and after about 8-10 minutes it dropped down to about 198. So it is obviously under load where i have an issue....What the heck?!?

I put a new from NAPA fan clutch on and still can't here that "roar" that is supposed to happen when it kicks in that everyone talks about. I also did a complete cooling system flush according to Gooch's procedure and used fleetrite ELC. This was done about 2 weeks ago.

Right now I am trying to figure out if it is my radiator or water pump - really don't want to start dropping more $$$ until I pinpoint it. The thermostat is fine - watch the temp get to 205 and then drop back to 195 as it opens.

Also - I am wondering what is acceptable temps for this motor? Where is the danger zone?

Thanks
Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
203* is the optimum temp. for the motor. I have seen the impellers on the water pump deteriorate because of not putting the additive in the cooling system and throwing the PH levels off. If the radiator isn't leaking and water flows through it ok, I would lean towards the water pump.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
203* is the optimum temp. for the motor. I have seen the impellers on the water pump deteriorate because of not putting the additive in the cooling system and throwing the PH levels off. If the radiator isn't leaking and water flows through it ok, I would lean towards the water pump.
The green coolant that I flushed out was not the greatest looking....wish I kept some to test..
Old 08-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcjguy View Post
The green coolant that I flushed out was not the greatest looking....wish I kept some to test..
Did you put additive in the new coolant or is it already mixed in?
Old 08-06-2010, 04:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
Did you put additive in the new coolant or is it already mixed in?
The new coolant, ELC, does not need additives.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:17 AM
Johnny Law Brown

i would also lean towards the water pump the easiest way to check your radiator is with a digital thermometer start at the top and work your way down it should gradually be cooling if there is a huge drop in temps then you rad is probably plugged
Old 08-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

How do you do that with the fan, shroud, etc. all in the way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.