HPOP reservior won't fill after rebuild...? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 06:23 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question After the rebuild...

Here's the deal:

My early 99 ( build date 02/28/98 ) at 287K needed rebuilding. Purchased the Ford master reman kit. ( HIGHLY recomend it BTW if you have to rebuild) Had machine work done, reasembeled it, put it in. At first start-up it started just fine less the expected roughness. Drove it approximately 2 miles and parked it right back where I started to check oil, coolant levels etc. Next time I went to start it, it ran for about 10 seconds and died as if it ran out of fuel. Process of elimination led me to an empty HPOP reservior. I have plenty of fuel, just no oil.

Put in my time searching through the threads. I talked to a guy I trust at Swamps here in Nashville. I even paid a freakin $15 deposit to "ask one of the ford mechanics" in the adds you see on here. (didnt accept his answer
so I didnt't have to pay, pretty sure I knew more about it than he did.)

So ive pulled/checked the "quick fill valve" and filled the revervior manually about 5 times. each time it runs for about 8-10 seconds and dies again. Took the GP's back out and cranked and cranked and cranked...nothing. My rebuilder is confident he installed the LPOP with the side stamped "damper" out, and that the thread lock he put on the pick-up should be holding it.

All that leads me to this question. Assuming that the LPOP is installed correctly, the pick up tube is in place, and the quick fill valve is opperating properly...what ELSE could cause this beautiful pain in the A$$ of an engine to NOT be delivering oil to the HPOP reservior!?

A fresh perspective always helps, thanks in advance.

Last edited by yeehaw03; 08-03-2010 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Title obviously caught no attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2010, 06:41 PM

Old 08-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Too cool for school

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to taylorking Send a message via Yahoo to taylorking
Is it not delivering oil to the reservoir, or is it draining out?

If its draining, it could be that the check valve is bad on the hpop.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to harley1rocker Send a message via Skype™ to harley1rocker
well,if im correct the hpop keeps the resivoir full,foes it not?? i think it does any way...the lpop is just fer engine lube dude...get a scanner.your mech should have one.check the ipr values and the icp. new cps??? get one if not...you really need a scanner for the no start...especially after the usuall cps and fuel check.. youn said you check the fuel psi??? check the hpop psi... there is a reason the earl taint gettin up in there dude..is it a new hpop?? and even if it is,ive seen brand new hpop's be defective,and the owner refuses to beleive it. it really sux just thinkin of it.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:55 AM

Thanks for the replies guys...

Taylorking...its actually NOT filling. I've filled it manually and it didn't drain back. It filled itself initially, but for some reason it decided it didn't want to again.

Harley1rocker (those rockers are sweet bikes BTW) The LPOP actually keeps the reservior full and the reservior in turn SUPPLIES the HPOP. I did replace the CPS (had a good one laying around from a previous attempt to fix something by changing one out) but it really has nothing to do with where the LPOP sends the oil. See, (and I'm about 99% sure on this) all of the 7.3's many sensors play a large roll in HPOP oil pressure and fuel delivery rates while the truck is running. However, the LPOP is a simple machine that has no choice but to turn if the crank is turnin. From the LPOP, located behind the damper in the engine front cover, the oil is sent directly down two paths...one takes it to the oil cooler and the other through the block's oil passages. The latter has a passage that immediately sends oil through the "quick fill valve" to the HPOP reservior, without asking permission from any sensors.

Last edited by yeehaw03; 08-03-2010 at 06:56 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 08-03-2010, 07:08 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
is this the stock 15* or 17*
Old 08-03-2010, 07:18 AM

It's the Stock 15*. When I Fill the reservior manually the HPOP delivers the oil to the Injectors...i just can't get the reservior to fill on it's own.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:20 AM
Banned

and you cranked and cranked more right?
Old 08-03-2010, 07:22 AM

I did...even to the Glow Plugs out and spun it for about 15-20 seconds at a time twice...nothing.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:29 AM
Banned

all sensors are plugged in? thats what mine kinda did. took a lot of cranks and stumbles the pump had no oil in it so it took awhile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.