fuel filter - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2006, 10:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
fuel filter

i just bought an 02 powerstroke. i want to put in a new fuel filter because the truck is surging really bad. I am hoping it will help. my concern is this. on the fuel filter is says to read the manual(which i do not have) due to the high pressure lines. i have changed a lot of fuel filters in the past and want to know is there anything specail i need to know before i go forward.

thanks,
d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2006, 12:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Just remove the black plasic cover over top, 13mm I believe. Then unsrew the plastic fuel filter cap, and remove the filter. Its very simple. When you put it back make sure you pay attention to the o-rings, especially the tapered one, in that they are put back (with new ones) the same way. Lube them with clean diesel fuel, or a light assembly grease and your done, While you're at it you may want to drain the fuel bowl in case there is any water or particles. There is a little yellow pet**** on the bottom towards the back side. New o-rings should come with the filter and hopefully you got the kind with the removable cap.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

yeah its pretty simple...don't worry about the high pressure thing, its a self purging system, so after you close the housing back up you just have to run the truck to purge the air out. this may cause some loud running and smoke for a little bit, but i've never had it happen...as for the wrench to use to get it off, that a toss up...if the truck has a motorcraft filter on it there is no common connection for a wrench and you'll have to use a special wrench to get it off...they are about 7 bucks, although i welded up my own for free(i'll send you a pic if you want)....when you replace the filter you will have purchased either just a new interior cartridge or a cartrige and accompanying lid...i did the later with a purolator filter from Advance...this has a square hole for a socket....lastly you have to make a good seal...make sure you remove the oring from the lid and wet it with diesel. replace the ring and screw in the lid...the manual recomends tightening to only 10-15 pounds of torque...if you don't have a wrench that's not very tight, probably just enough so that you can't remove it by hand...

good luck, let me know if you have other questions...

wes
Old 04-19-2006, 10:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks,\

thanks so much for the advice. i did it and had no issues. i really appreciate the help.

while you guys are at it let me know what you think of this. i have the adjustable pedals in my truck. the pedals are so sensitive that it feels like the truck is surging just from very microscopic movements. is there any way to adjust them so they are not so sentive.

thanks,
mojo
Old 04-19-2006, 11:24 AM
Conservative and Proud

Doing mine tonight/today after work. I really hope it's this easy.:pray:

PS gotta borrow a ladder to reach under the hood.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:27 PM

Bought a 99.5 PSD from a friend about a month ago. Started to have stuttering problems. Just changed air and fuel filter. TRied to purge with the yellow tab thing but nothing will come out. Any ideas?
Old 06-11-2006, 05:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by quad56
Bought a 99.5 PSD from a friend about a month ago. Started to have stuttering problems. Just changed air and fuel filter. TRied to purge with the yellow tab thing but nothing will come out. Any ideas?
First off, welcome to the forum, and secondly, please discribe your problem in a little more detail, it may not be fuel filter related so the more info, the better we can pinpoint it....also, have you checked for any codes in the computer just to be safe?? usually, subtle problems dont store codes, but if they do, it can really aid in diagnosis.......Marc
Old 06-11-2006, 05:40 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJacks258
Just remove the black plasic cover over top, 13mm I believe. Then unsrew the plastic fuel filter cap, and remove the filter. Its very simple. When you put it back make sure you pay attention to the o-rings, especially the tapered one, in that they are put back (with new ones) the same way.
only want to add, check the directions that come with the filter, if someone put the tapered ring on wrong previously, one would only be repeating the mistake..
brian
Old 06-12-2006, 12:01 AM

Thanks for the welcome.

Well it has a hesitation or stutter, when driving. It did it twice in the same day, no warning lights what so ever. Then it was fine for awhile, then it did it again. It also died three times on that same day. It died while idling in park, idling in gear and driving down the road. All three times, no warning lights and it started right back up.

The stutter thing has happened both with the cruise control and without.

I have read some of the post and not knowing the last time the filters were changed, figured that was a good place to start. I changed the filters and it was a good thing because they were dirty. But the problem is when i tried to purge with the yellow lever thing, nothing and i mean nothing came out. The filter bowl was full of fuel. My friend has a 00 and when he drains his, the fuel/water comes right out.

As for the details on the truck, it is a 99.5 120k stock, no chip or exhaust (yet).

The stutter thing is hard to describe in detail.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:04 AM
Banned

well, there must be a restriction going to the drain vavle in the fuel bowl if it will not drain, but your studder sounds like a cam sensor to me.........Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.