What'd I Wreck Now? - Urgent - - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2010, 07:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation What'd I Wreck Now? - Urgent -

00' F350, 6-spd, 150'ish miles. *Edit* only "mods" are a MBRP 4" dual system and 6637 filter*

Oil level hasn't moved a drop since changed it a little over a month ago (until now) and is still quite clean, impressed with that.

Installed my MBRP 4" system Friday, checked my oil Sunday and noticed it dropped nearly 1/2qt (half way down crosshatch on dipstick) since Friday. Noticed a little dripping from my drain plug, suspected that was it, backed plug off and retightened, seemed to have solved that "leak". Came to town last night, maybe did a couple high-throttle/RPM gear runs, but not for long or any worse than the occasional, didn't notice anything out of the norm.

This morning I started the truck for about 10 seconds, only to move it down the driveway . Came back out an hour later to head to work, decided to check oil level, it's down probably 3/4qt and no drips from the drain plug . . . start the truck (dash oil pressure gauge seemed to come up almost instantly this time). Get out to let it warm up and it's blowing blue smoke pretty bad for probably 15 seconds. It dies down a bit after than, but shoots a bit on a couple quick revs after that.

There is almost always a little oil puddle on the frame/leaf spring under the passenger side front intercooler/intake boot. After getting the exhaust I noticed there seems to always be a black liquid in the tips. I can't tell if it's oil, or water & soot, but it feels thick like oil.

Also installed a 6637 filter a day after exhaust if it matters. Also, the truck always starts good, the occasional little puff of white/diesel smelling smoke, but nothing to worry about IMO. The little black valve looking device the tube from the waste plugs into constantly clicks while Key-On Engine-Off, BTW.

Any help is appreicated, as I seriously hope I haven't screwed up anything major, a.k.a., expensive.

Thanks again, Kyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2010, 09:00 AM

Pulled the intake tube off to check for play. There is a slight amount of up/down/sidetoside play, but no in & out movement. I'm not sure what an acceptable amount of play is, if any.

Thanks for the help and please, anyone else with any suggestions please chime in!
Old 07-28-2010, 09:34 AM

Put the intake tube back on and went out and started it. It only gave a little puff of blue on the first rev, after than it was normal/no smoke. I can take the filler cap off and set it upsidedown on the filler neck, there is just enough pressure to make the cap slide around.

Rechecked the oil level and it's at the bottom of the crosshatch . . . Wish I had more knowledge of diesels right now, as I haven't a clue what to do or check next.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:44 AM

Do you have any oil puddleing up in the valley?
Old 07-29-2010, 11:42 AM

Not really, just residue from years of CCV oil from the boots over the valley.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:39 PM

Starting to think the oil in the exhaust pipe isn't. It's extremely thick feeling, so maybe it's the greace they coat the pipes in for shipping to prevent rust combined with soot? There isn't any more of that substance in the tips since I noticed it Saturday night.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Emergency Services

if the lost oil is not leaking, or in your coolant then it is burning it. it has no where else to go.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:09 PM

That's what I'm thinking, coolant level is the same as it was when I bought it 2 months ago with no oily color.

I'm starting to think it's injector O-rings (and hopefully not piston/piston rings) due to the fact I now remember checking the blow by prior to this and not seeing or feeling anything at all coming from the filler cap as far as blow-by. Can someone provide some insight/an opinion on my theory? Is it possible/normal for 7.3 not to have noticable blow-by when removing the filler cap?
Old 08-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just walked outside and started mine up cold and removed the oil filler cap and didnt notice any pressure. I set the cap upside down on top and it vibrated over but nothing with pressure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.