Blowing bluish white smoke - HELP!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2010, 12:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Blowing bluish white smoke - HELP!!!

The truck in question is a 2001, F250, with the 7.3 & 234,000miles.

On the way home from WY we noticed the bluish white smoke.

As of right now: when we accelerate from a stop, significant smoke / on the interstate when you back off from acceleration, some smoke (might be same but speed is decreasing observable smoke) / in town we will maintain speed with no issues, but when the acceleration is stopped and as we coast and brake to a stop - smoke again / It is not present when we maintain acceleration in town or on the highway.

Just pulled all the injectors and put on new O Rings, I'm rebuilding the Turbo & Pedastle this weekend.

I know for a fact that their are leaks in the O Rings on the pedastle as well as internally on the actuator arm.

Is this where we are getting smoke or did we lose a ring? I have 3 other trucks on the farm with the same configuration and we have never had to pull and rebuild until 400,000.

Any insight, help, or past experience would be a godsend.

Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2010, 03:22 PM

The injectors are under the valve covers. If fuel leak is getting into the inside of the valve covers it is getting in the oil. If it is getting in there a little thing called fuel oil dilution is happening. What all that does is pretty much thins the oil which makes it a lot easier for the oil to get past the rings. It might be worth it to change the oil and see if it clears up. (the oil will probably have a strong smell of fuel) The reason you would be getting the smoke with the thinner oil than the regular stuff is because no ring completely seats against the cylinder wall. But they do seat good enough to keep the recommended oil out of the combustion chamber. The reason that it stops when you accelerate or get up to speed is all about compression pressure. The rings actually use compression pressure to seat against the cylinder wall, and as you accelerate your compression pressure increases so it stops smoking. Just curious... why would you drive the truck at all with known problems with the fuel system? Worst case scenario is the truck could actually start running off of the lube oil and not shut down. The engine could actually come apart from that, it's called a runaway diesel. Hope this helps.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Smile Another Question

The truck is sitting in the garage waiting on the turbo rebuild.

I pulled the injectors and put new O Ring Kits on each. I did not change the oil yet, will do that tomorrow. It was a fresh oil change that I actually noticed accentuating the problem.

Also when I found the leak at the rear on the Pedastle. I took it out for a test drive and to get the excess fuel out of the system that accumulates when you pull injectors.

The oil I was ok with - pulled the galley plugs and kept that out of the cylinders.

Could not for the life of me figure out why it is still smoking - the only four options I could come up with were:
1. O Rings on Injectors were a no go - and know thats not it.
2. Oil is getting into the exhaust system through the waste gate - which explains why it only occurs after the vehicle comes upto temperature, and why it does it at idle.
3. I lost a ring somewhere and need to do a teardown and rebuild - but there's not enough miles or abuse on the truck to warrant that.
4. There's a satanic gremlin that moveds into the engine - on a mission of espionage and subterfuge with instructions to damage, maime, and destroy - per ex wife. This could be an option - but will require an exorcism and more than just the last divorce lawyer.

Any other insite I would appreciate and gladly welcome.

Will swap out the oil and filter and run again Monday afternoon, after the turbo and pedastle are reassembled.

Thanks - dj

QUOTE=slowyellow;1993768]The injectors are under the valve covers. If fuel leak is getting into the inside of the valve covers it is getting in the oil. If it is getting in there a little thing called fuel oil dilution is happening. What all that does is pretty much thins the oil which makes it a lot easier for the oil to get past the rings. It might be worth it to change the oil and see if it clears up. (the oil will probably have a strong smell of fuel) The reason you would be getting the smoke with the thinner oil than the regular stuff is because no ring completely seats against the cylinder wall. But they do seat good enough to keep the recommended oil out of the combustion chamber. The reason that it stops when you accelerate or get up to speed is all about compression pressure. The rings actually use compression pressure to seat against the cylinder wall, and as you accelerate your compression pressure increases so it stops smoking. Just curious... why would you drive the truck at all with known problems with the fuel system? Worst case scenario is the truck could actually start running off of the lube oil and not shut down. The engine could actually come apart from that, it's called a runaway diesel. Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-24-2010, 08:38 AM

Keep us posted man.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

id have to go with the satanic gremlin!!!! but thats just me.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:25 PM

Wisconsin...did you get this worked out...Did the oil change help?

What was the resolution?
Old 08-30-2010, 03:52 PM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
anything yet??
Old 10-22-2010, 10:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just brought home my first powerstroke, and it has exactly the same problem. Hoping for feedback on this.

2000 F350 Lariat crew cab dually 4x4 6speed. Always wanted this exact truck, but if the engine problems aren't quickly resolved I may just have to swap a Cummins in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.