Mobile forest fire! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2010, 10:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mobile forest fire!

Well as many of you know I have been running a mix of ATF/diesel for fuel for about 10k miles now with a total of 210k on my truck. And regardless of what everyone says this has been an experiment for me and I will post my successes and failures.

That being said, a couple of weeks ago my truck started smoking like a mobile forest fire. I thought I was having mixing issues with the oil and diesel because that's what it would do but come to find out after filling the tank with 100% diesel it smokes even worse. So I ran a contribution test and #5 failed and I can also feel a slight miss.

I am sure I have an injector issue but I plan to build a compression test hose and see what my compression is and hope that I didn't burn a hole through my piston while I was ignoring the smoking. If I pass the compression test then I'll be pulling injectors and replacing them. If I don't then I'll be tearing down the motor. I will also be doing some inspection of the combustion chamber to see if there are any detrimental effects of running waste oil as fuel.

If you have any suggestions and/or ideas of things to check/test please feel free to let me know and I will do my best to get it done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2010, 12:01 PM
I don't know nuttin....

Subscribed....
Old 07-23-2010, 12:07 PM

Waiting on parts for homemade compression tester.......waiting sucks......it really really sucks.....
Old 07-23-2010, 12:56 PM
I don't know nuttin....

Be patient gwasshoppa
Old 07-23-2010, 01:30 PM
wants to go 2wd to 4wd

Send a message via AIM to SniperFolf
Looking for fun...
Old 07-29-2010, 05:20 AM

Got my parts in for the homemade compression tester. Going out of town this weekend so it'll have to wait till next weekend.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:51 AM

Ok I need some input here fellas.... and lady .

This was a rough weekend. I started out with two dislocated thumbs and my left hand all cut up before I even turned a wrench. So before I tore the truck down I did a cylinder contribution test and cylinder 5 was the only one out of range. But when I did the compression test I got 7 cylinders with 350-400 PSI and only number 8 was low and it was about 310. Ive seen pressure minimums listed from 300-360 PSI. I have a hard time believing that 360 is a minimum when my truck will start right up without me letting the glow plugs warm and most of my readings were 350 PSI. I also looked at the glow plugs and there was just a very small amount of carbon buildup on them. None looked out of the ordinary for an engine with 200k miles to me.

At this point I'm thinking it just needs injectors. Any ideas or input?
Old 08-09-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbols View Post
At this point I'm thinking it just needs injectors. Any ideas or input?
Do you have the ability to pull the injectors and send them off to (insert your favorite injector builder here) and have them checked out?

I read long ago about a guy that had an injector that broke the tip off and rather then spraying a nice fine fuel shot it dripped fuel and burned up is piston. I dont think its that bad yet in yours. We do know that you have way too much fuel (smoke). maybe its not enough air? like a boost leak or a turbo that is not putting out enough air? how are your boost numbers and EGTs?

Last edited by tubular031; 08-09-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:17 AM

Yea, pulling the injectors out and having them rebuilt and/or new ones was the next step unless anyone has a better idea. I've used beans in the past and liked them so I'm sure I'll be sending them their way.

Not having any boost issues, filter is good, EGT's normal, and it smokes like crazy just sitting at idle so I'm sure its either compression related or injector related.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:29 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.