Starts when cold shuts down when warm - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2010, 05:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Starts when cold shuts down when warm

I have a 04 7.3 F250. I was driving along then vehicle shut down like ran out of fuel.
Towed to mecahanical garage, have replaced CAP sensor, HPOP sensor, engine coolant sensor appears to be okay when checked, checked IDM, checked computer, replaced air filter, fuel filter, changed oil and filter, checked relays and all seem to be okay. Fuel pressure is reading 60psi when running and when it shuts down. Have ordered replacement oil temp sensor to be fitted Monday.
The vehicle starts when cold, then when it warms up (about 15to 20 minutes it shuts down.
Can anyone give me any other suggestions, the mechanic is scratching his head in bewilderment.

*****Thanks for your responses folks, cannot believe for 4 weeks it was in the garage because of a faulty solnoid on the IPR. Gotta get me a decent scan tool so it doesn't happen again. Just glad to be back on the road. Ye hah!

Last edited by alrocky; 06-21-2010 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Update back on the road
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2010, 06:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

First of all - you do NOT have a 04 7.3 F250. The 7.3 was discontinued mid run in 2003 and I have one of the last 7.3 trucks to roll off of the line. So verify what motor / year you have. It will make a big difference in diagnosis.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

While the 6.0 is more prone to this problem the 7.3 also could do it. Damage to the copper gasket on the end of the injector allows combstion gas to enter the fuel passages and forces the fuel out causeing the injectors to starve of fuel. Also the hold down bolt backing out or stretching can allow the injector to unseat. This is one problem that is hard to catch in the act.

A quick test disable the fuel pump and IDM so it can't start. Remove the top filter cover and filter. Have some one roll the engine over and watch for bubbles. If bubbles are present you are getting combustion gas in the fuel rails/passages.

Last edited by dannyboy950; 05-29-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dray8165 View Post
First of all - you do NOT have a 04 7.3 F250. The 7.3 was discontinued mid run in 2003 and I have one of the last 7.3 trucks to roll off of the line. So verify what motor / year you have. It will make a big difference in diagnosis.
Sorry, my mistake, I am actually in the "land down under" Australia, I am informed that when the vehicles arrive here from over seas, they are issued with a new compliance plate and stamped with the year they are first registered here, so if it is a 2003 model , it may not have been complianced until 2004, hence it has a 7.3.

The mechanic that is trying to fix it, has created a thread under aussierockymechanics.

Last edited by alrocky; 05-31-2010 at 12:54 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Angry

The mechanic has put in the new oil temp sensor, no change, new kit in the injection regulator , no change, checked all earth connections, it seems that when it gets to running temp it shuts down, could it possibly be the ect sensor sending wrong signal to the computer , such as temp too high??
Old 06-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I assume you mean engine coolant temp sensor by ect? Unless it is a manual transmission, there is no such sensor on your truck, just the sending unit for the gauge which does not communicate with the PCM. And if it is a manual and you do have a coolant temp sensor I do not think it has an overtemp shutdown feature.

I asked your mechanic if he checked the high pressure oil system but he didn't answer. Hopefully the electrical expert he is sending it to can get some data from the PCM, it's pretty much a guessing game without that data.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, was not aware that on the auto it only sent to the gauge, the mechanis has an auto electrician checking a few things on Monday extracting info from the computer so wait to see what data comes from that
Old 06-17-2010, 02:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Scan tool inquiry

Come Monday it has been 4 weeks at the garage trying to be fixed, it has been with the auto electrician for the last week, they have run tests on the computer and all appears to right, they believe it is an electrical problem so I am waiting still!!

I have made inquiries on the net regarding the autoenginuity tool with the Ford F series bundle, can anyone tell me whether it is the best diagnostic tool on the market, I want an instrument/programm that will be able to tell me what the problem actually is so thbat my truck is not off the road like this time it has been.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:29 AM
Other vehicle is an F250

I really like my AutoEnginuity. In fact a fellow org member is dropping by my place tomorrow to have me calibrate his speedometer that FORDsaid couldn't be done because of his 38" tires. The AE will do it! Saturday I will be scanning another kid's truck to check a code he has. I think it is a great toola nd the guys that write the programs are the ones that answer the telephone when you call. Good luck. I posted in your other thread.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for that, the fellow that I have been dealing with from over there in USA has given me a distributor contact here in Australia to see if they have it in stock, otherwise I have to purchase via the USA and have it shipped.
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.