is this normal? drivers side valve cover - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2010, 10:45 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
is this normal? drivers side valve cover

On the drivers side valve cover there is a box with what looks like a vent tube. there looks to be exhaust comming out of that tube. Is this normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
That tube, from the factory, is normally connected to the intake where the black plastic block is between the air filter and the turbo hoses.

It is also the site if the "CCV Mod" which diverts crankcase blow-by either into a drip can (and into the atmosphere) or, more properly, back into the intake (otherwise you're removing a pollution control device).

Either way, yes it "puffs" vapor & Crank Case Ventilation (CCV) when running....
Old 04-15-2010, 01:12 PM

well after looking closer I see where it plugs into the air intake hose now. Now I guess I need to look into doing a CCV mod. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:27 PM

OK question. I read some other places that if this was not plugged into the air tube it could cause back pressure and make the truck leak oil. Which it is from more then one place. I think I need to do the oring on the oil pan dipstick. Tightened the nut on the oil pan just a tad and the leak has really slowed down there. I think I also have a leak comming from the oil cooler. Only thing I can think of that would saturate the whole drivers side lower engine area with oil. My main question is this. If the engine back pressured and forced oil pass the rear maine seal will it stop now that I put the stupid tube back where it belongs?
Old 04-16-2010, 06:28 AM

I think the back-pressure issue is about causing a restriction and preventing the blow by from being easily vented NOT about having it plugged back into the intake. If it was just left-off I don't think it caused any of the leaks you see now.

Also, DO NOT tighten that dipstick nut! You are opening a "can of worms" that can lead to having to PULL THE MOTOR! If it's got a slight drip, live with it.... If you want to fix it, do LOTS of research before you try, there is a technique and you have to be Very Careful or the inside of that nut will fall into the engine.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:26 PM

I fixed it today. I did use the vicegrip trick and when i pulled out the old oring. TADA there was only half of it there. Got the new oring in with a new dipstick oring and no more leaks there either. Also did the oil cooler today all looks good so far.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:57 PM

Good for YOU!

Glad you were already aware......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.