Newbie w a hpop question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 06:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie w a hpop question

I bought a 99 E450 boxvan w a 7.3 a couple of years ago. I got it very cheap with about 140000 miles with some issues. The first big problem was several SES lights and having to limp home on a couple of occasions. That turned out to be a bad IDM. Since I replaced the IDM I have had times where the truck just not seem to have much power. Just weak feeling and other times it runs great. Never any miss or hard to start its like its starving for fuel. Last week it set another SES and its showing a bad IPR. I'm trying to kinda get familier with this engine and I can now see the realtionship with the IPR and the HPOP. Looking around in this forum I have deducted that the HPOP is a fail, no fail kind of item. They don't get weak they just fail. I have seen where some rebuilders of pumps claim that stock oil volume is less than adequate and can cause the injectors to not funtion well under a load or at full throttle. Looking around in here I have seen nothing about HPOP volume so naturally I start to be skeptical of these claims. Can increased volume help a stock engine or do I just need to replace the IPR and see if that solves my problems.

Last edited by dcg141; 04-12-2010 at 07:20 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2010, 06:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The HPOP may not make enough volume for high volume injectors - like Stage 2 modifieds running wide open throttle. I doubt thats what you bought the van for, and it sounds like you have the stock injectors. The stock HPOP is more than sufficient for that. I am going to give you two links to read through. The first explains the HPOP / IPR / ICM sensor relationship, the second how to rebuild your own IPR - if you're a decent mechanic you can save yourself some money, as 90% of the time, IPR trouble is o-ring related.

open this site, and scroll down to Technician High Pressure Pump Guide For The
7.3 Power Stroke Engine

Diesel Technician Society

then read:

New Page 0
Old 04-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Wow...that is just the info I was looking for. Thx alot. This site came higly recommended at KTMtalk.com. You are right I'm not intrested in hopups. I use the van to race motorcycles out of. It get a lot of highway miles going to and from races.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.