OIL CONSUMPTION PROBLEMS - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 05:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OIL CONSUMPTION PROBLEMS

Hi guys from Down Under
I have a 2002 7.3 Powerstroke that drinks oil as fast as fuel in your terms around 1 quart per 30 miles or so????
I have checked the fuel filter and its clean the air intake to turbo slight mist of oil no oil pooling the engine runs smooth but does seem to blow some blue smoke when cold and aslo putting the boot into it but not all the time, It did this at xmas while 4x4ing but then came good till easter and is going through the oil again
Any help would be great and thnx

Last edited by supercab; 04-10-2010 at 05:11 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2010, 05:24 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

might be the rings on the pistons or could be the turbo seals are shot allowing it to seep past and into the exhaust side of the turbo and be burnt off.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanx mate I havent checked the exhaust side of the turbo yet will do tomorrow as far as the rings go this truck only has 180,000 km on it, if it were a ring prob what might show up to be a sign to look for
Old 04-10-2010, 07:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You could still have one or more blown lower injector o-rings. A very common problem in these trucks. This problem allows oil from the high pressure oil rail to leak into the fuel rail where it gets burned. Oil will sometimes back up into the fuel filter assembly if the leak is significant enough, but the absence is not diagnostic. Diesels will actually run on straight motor oil, so you don't always see the same levels of smoke you would expect from a gasser.

Rings are not a common problem - the lubricating properties of diesel fuel, combined with the great oiling system actually minimizes ring wear. It is not uncommon to pull a head on a motor with 250,000 miles and STILL be able to see the crosshatch pattern in the cylinder sleeve. It is more likely to break rings than wear them out - then you get a loss of compression and it will run with a miss.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:39 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

I agree with Dray. Injector o rings can cause what youre seeing.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for that guys will look into it but I have pulled the fuel filter and the filter is clean as new and fuel looks clean in the bowl I agree cant see it being piston rings maybe turbo o rings will let you know what happens and thanks again
Old 04-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

How had is it to replace injector o-rings. I am having some oil consumption issues myself not as bad as his though.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:59 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

pull your intercooler tubes, intake, valvecovers and the loosen the injector hold downs, and thats pretty much it. not too awful bad, just time consuming to figure out which ones are leaking.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duanesz View Post
How had is it to replace injector o-rings. I am having some oil consumption issues myself not as bad as his though.
Not too bad. I would definitally set aside a weekend to do it and take your time. Basically pull the injectors, put new o-rings on them oil it all up and button it back together.

DO NOT use cheap chinese o-rings. My buddy used those on his truck and it made it about 300 miles before he had to buy some new ones.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC SuperTech View Post
pull your intercooler tubes, intake, valvecovers and the loosen the injector hold downs, and thats pretty much it. not too awful bad, just time consuming to figure out which ones are leaking.
I would do all of them. No sense in doing it twice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.