IDM failure? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
IDM failure?

I have a 1999 Ford F350 with a couple of different codes. It has an IDM failure code, and, injectors one and eight fail an injector buzz test. When the truck is started in the mornings it runs very sluggish until it is floored and then it begins to run right, it also runs rough and lopes at idle like a gas engine with a cam. Should I replace the IDM or the injectors first? Or could it be something else? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2010, 08:12 AM

Is your P1298 IDM Failure code hard set with CEL, or does the code come up when you do a cylinder contribution test?
Old 04-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbabler View Post
I have a 1999 Ford F350 with a couple of different codes. It has an IDM failure code, and, injectors one and eight fail an injector buzz test. When the truck is started in the mornings it runs very sluggish until it is floored and then it begins to run right, it also runs rough and lopes at idle like a gas engine with a cam. Should I replace the IDM or the injectors first? Or could it be something else? Thanks.
Some scanners will set an IDM code after a buzz test - I would clear the code and ignore it unless it comes back on its own without the buzz test. In the meantime, the two bad injectors will cause the problems you are having.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:58 AM

That is what I was referring to. I have an Autoenginuity scanner and 2 powerstroke 7.3's. When I do the buzz test on my trucks, one of them gets the P1298 code (2003), the other does not. (2002)

I second on the injectors as well, Depending on your mileage, you may not just be able to replace 2, though.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the help, the code has not come back since I ran the buzz test. Where is a good place to get injectors? Thanks
Old 04-21-2010, 04:49 PM

Beans test their injectors before shipping them:

Beans Diesel Performance - 94-03 Power Stroke Stock replacement Fuel Injectors (Powered by CubeCart)
Old 04-21-2010, 04:51 PM
shaking things up

rosewood is probably the least expensive place to get stuff for injectors done
Old 04-21-2010, 05:01 PM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dray8165 View Post
dang, that is a good price. 118 for ramans with a core. I will have to remember that when I need to get some. As much as I would like to get some upgraded ones....... $$$$$$$$$ is tight!
Old 10-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a 2002 F350 duly with 7.3 Powerstroke. Cranks but will not start. Changed oil and filter,cam position sensor, and glow plug relay gpr>needed to be replaced before no start condition. I have oil pressure. The Injector Drive Module Relay#303 clicks when you turn the egnition to the on position. I have some oil seepage at the conectors of the ICP Sensor and the IPR Valve. Any help with this no start condition will be appreciated. Thank You.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:26 PM

Basic things to check - does your Wait to Start light illuminate? Voltage while cranking? Any access to a scanner? Monitor cranking RPM, ICP sensor data, IPR duty cycle and voltage. Any smoke from the exhaust while cranking? Fuel pressure? Above or below 1/4 tank of fuel? The oil on the IPR valve connector would have to be secondary - the solenoid doesn't have direct oil contact from the inside. You could try unplugging the ICP sensor and cranking. The PCM will use a default value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.