noise - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
noise

pleas help. i have a 2000 f350 7.3 auto. it is making a grinding noise only sometimes right after i start it. intermitant. only last a half secound. to me sounds kindof like a starter grind. checked the starter and flywheel teeth. they are good. took it to the shop and they found nothing either. think it might be a cracked flywheel. but i wouldnt think it would only do it sometimes. and only for a couple minutes just after first start up in the morning. does not do it at all after that. and only on some days. i dont know where to start. dont want to have to pull the tranny if i dont have to. any ideas would be greatly apriciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 03:44 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

I think what you are hearing is the brake booster building pressure. I could be totally wrong, but i know that both my 01 and my 03 will go GRRRRR for about 1/2 sec like you said. Mine does it when i turn the ignition on to cycle the glow plugs or sometimes just after it starts, say in a warm start cases. Try and get someone else to turn the ignition on with you under the hood.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

it doesnt sound like a pump. its real loud tinny sound like a starter grinding on a flywheel. does it 5 or 6 times in about 2 or 3 minutes time.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:11 PM

ahh ok. I know that the booster pump has thrown a few guys off before. Well then maybe its the torque converter making noise. They are known to not last too long in the 4r100's. How many miles are on your truck?
Old 04-08-2010, 04:16 PM

i know it sounds dumb but i went thru this a month ago changed the starter and was sick to my stomach, only to find it was my exahust tappin around that area. felt it in my feet and had a slight vibration slight clicking sound on start up and shut down was most noticable. at first i did think it was my starter too! hope this helps just give your pipe a push up to see if the noise goes away.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i'm not exactly sure thats the trany. was a guess. its got 195000. i was told the tranys usually only last 185. i wondered if it might be the converter going out. does that happen alot? it hasn't slipped any. i did smell gear oil smell a few times. i stopped and let it cool off. was playin in the snow and working it kinda hard but this started before that. dealer said they have seen alot of cracked flywheels but i wouldnt think it would only do it after sitting over night and first start up for that.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks i will check the exaust. i think ist kind of loud for that though. i did check the pullys last time it did it and nothing was froze up. the sound seams to be coming form down by the oilpan.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:32 PM

Yeah i forgot about the exhaust too. Do you have an aftermarket pipe? The downpipe on my 7.3 would rub on the tranny dipstick and rattle a little. I would say that if you got 195k on a stock tranny you are doing really well! The torque converters were never built to handle the torque of the psd. Thats why there were so many upgrades made to the trannies when they went to the torq shift behind the 6.0s.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

its all stock. i guess i will just have to pull the tranny and find out. but thanks for the suggestions. i will check the converter while i have it out.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:46 PM

Can you have someone else listen down in that area for you to try and pinpoint it a little more, just in case its not in the tranny? I would hate to see ya pull it for nothing but at 195k i guess if you pull it you might just want to rebuild it if you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.