Powerstroke Engine Transplant - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2005, 08:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Powerstroke Engine Transplant

I'm planning to swap in a powerstroke into my 1993 F250. I prefer to install a 1999 and up motor. How much of a headache will this be with respect to electronics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2005, 11:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Harley Truck
I couldnt tell you first hand, but it seems liek you could save money by just buying a new truck. swapping a motor is one helluva job in the first place, let alone if your swapping in a DIFFERENT motor.

especially if all 99+ powerstrokes are turbo. (which i dont know for certain.)
Old 09-19-2005, 12:11 AM
Vinyl Sticker Guy

I think every Powerstroke is turboed. 99+ they added an intercooler also. I agree with Harley, by the time it was all said and done, you might even save money by buying a 99-2000 Ford Powerstroke. Especially when you figure all the time you would have into it, and, we all know Time = money.

What engine do you currently have in the 93? The 7.3L IDI? or is it gas?
Old 09-19-2005, 01:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It's the 5.8L gasser. I know the cost benefit thing says get a new truck, but I don't really want to part with mine. I've had it for 7 years, and I can see having it 7 more. It's got 8" lift, 44 inch tires, 5.13:1 gears and 9-11mpg as my daily driver. I've done all the work to it myself. Not all things are done strictly for practical reasons.

Here's my thinking.

Pull the old engine, transmition, exhaust and computer.

Drop in engine and tranny assembly (new motor mounts, verify compatibility with transfer case)

Install new floor shifter for 4R100 tranny

Install aftermarket exhaust, Banks or similar

Splice in wiring harness/ install new computer

Install Boost/Pyro/and trans temp gauges and tach

Re-use existing radiator (already upgraded)

I've done one engine swap before. Yes it's a big job. I don't plan on saving money by making this conversion, in fact I expect it to be a little expensive.

Anyone familiar with the electronics on new vs. old 7.3L powerstrokes?
Old 09-19-2005, 01:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

That is a nice plan but you might want to consider a meen crate engine. You can get a stroked 351 with gobs of torque for an easier install or even go with a big block. You'd get more power and save a lot of headaches and fabrication. I'm not trying to dicourage you at all, I stuffed a 351c in a ranger while everyone said it was a bad idea. Just don't expect to get anything for it when it's time to get rid of the rig.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:27 PM

Not worth it!!!

There is no splicing of the a power stroke harness to your 93 gas harness they are not the same you need a harness off of a 94 to 97 that had a power stroke in it. Get every thing from the dash to all the under hood wiring plus the the throttle pedel. The 99 valve covers gasket and the engine harness are also different if you get a 99 or newer motor you will need to change valve cover gaskets and rework some of the harness form the 94 to 97 harness so it will fit the 99 and newer motors. If you don't install the intercooler you will need to change the turbo, exhaust and intake on the 99 motor to the 94 to 97 style. The fire wall will need be moved back to fit the 99 turbo in your 93 truck. I have done this and it is doable but it's not cheep if I had to do it agin I wouldn't.

Last edited by Fis Teck; 10-03-2005 at 07:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.