Serp. belt....WTF?!? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 09:13 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Serp. belt....WTF?!?

Ok here's the deal....

The grooved pulley on my tensioner went out, so I replaced the tensioner as well as the belt.

I have the belt run the right way and all that, I'm using Napa belt# 081223 and all is good....

BUT!!!!

I CAN NOT GET THE DAMNED THING ON!

I'm bringing the tensioner all the way back till it hits it's stops and STILL CANNOT get it on. I have the belt run through all the pulleys except the top middle one in between the A/C pump and the ALT. I'm attempting to slide the belt under the middle pulley while pulling on the tensioner.

My question is;
Is there a "certain" way/ "secret" pulley that is easier to slip the belt over and get it seated while pulling on the tensioner? I can't believe that I can't get it seated!! I don't get it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2010, 01:24 AM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
either wrong belt of put on wrong.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i just changed my belt and it went on really easy
Old 04-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Another belt problem

I have had this truck for almost two years and have had no problem with the belt. I check it every time I check the oil and it looks great, no abnormal wear no signs of fraying ect.

Ok now the other day I installed a Edge Evo. and went out and run her hard came home and climbed under the truck to look at something and found pieces of belt hanging all over. I popped the hood and found the belt still on but missin 4 of the eight rows.

I went and got a new belt, installed it and then sat there and watched it run all looked great there was no wobble in any pulley's the belt appeared to run true.

I went into town and bought a new hose to replace the one I cut going from the intake to the map sensor so that I could install my BigBoost. because I wanted to see the true boost pressure. It's 7 miles into town and back at 65 mph and when I popped the hood the belt was still right where it was supposed to be.

I changed the hose and then went out 5 miles from the house and ran two 0-60 runs and 2 1/4 mile runs and then went home. I popped the hood and the belt was again missing 2 rows.

I am at a loss here. Now keep in mind that till this day after installing the edge I have never taken the rpm's above 2500 but during the first run and the test runs I hit the rev limiter at 3700. Could it be because of the high rpm's causing it to chuck the belt?

Again in all inspections every pulley appears to be running true and the tensioner looks good and feel like it has the appropriate tension, the belt does not make any slipping noises.

Any Ideas?
Has anyone else ran into a problem with the belt from high r's or overstock power ect.?
Old 04-11-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtjohnson View Post
I have had this truck for almost two years and have had no problem with the belt. I check it every time I check the oil and it looks great, no abnormal wear no signs of fraying ect.

Ok now the other day I installed a Edge Evo. and went out and run her hard came home and climbed under the truck to look at something and found pieces of belt hanging all over. I popped the hood and found the belt still on but missin 4 of the eight rows.

I went and got a new belt, installed it and then sat there and watched it run all looked great there was no wobble in any pulley's the belt appeared to run true.

I went into town and bought a new hose to replace the one I cut going from the intake to the map sensor so that I could install my BigBoost. because I wanted to see the true boost pressure. It's 7 miles into town and back at 65 mph and when I popped the hood the belt was still right where it was supposed to be.

I changed the hose and then went out 5 miles from the house and ran two 0-60 runs and 2 1/4 mile runs and then went home. I popped the hood and the belt was again missing 2 rows.

I am at a loss here. Now keep in mind that till this day after installing the edge I have never taken the rpm's above 2500 but during the first run and the test runs I hit the rev limiter at 3700. Could it be because of the high rpm's causing it to chuck the belt?

Again in all inspections every pulley appears to be running true and the tensioner looks good and feel like it has the appropriate tension, the belt does not make any slipping noises.

Any Ideas?
Has anyone else ran into a problem with the belt from high r's or overstock power ect.?
same thing happened to mine. When i put a new belt on, a hundred or so miles later, a few grooves break off. I have now stopped putting new ones on and left the old one on. Around 5k miles later, it still is running fine. Although i have a spare for emergencies, my broken one works and i dont want to keep changing them. I think i have a bent pulley somewhere.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:14 PM
Oilfield Trash

if it keeps taking out groves, something has to be bent or out of place to allow that to happen. my tensioner went out and the belt was half on when i drove home from dallas.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

your water pump is bad. my wore the impeller of water pump about a 1/4 in. that is what is screwing up your belts. easy job to do. it took me 2 hrs . water pump runs 130.00 at advance. and 284.00 at ford
Old 08-05-2010, 05:41 PM

Sounds like you have a bent pulley. The bend does not have to be visual. it could be off my a few millimeters and it will rip the belt. those grooves are sharp especially when you are spinning at 1000 RPMs

I had brand new tires on my truck. I took a long trip (3000 miles) and the damn tire is about 1/2 worn in a feathered uneven way due to a bad shock.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:30 PM

Hey guys...

I guess I should have posted up how I resolved this matter.

Turns out I'm dumber than a bag-of-hammers and my stupid a$$ just had the belt ran thruough the pullys wrong.

I called over a buddy to look at it....he instantly called me an a$$hole, fixed it, and then made me buy him a six-pack all whilst making constant fun of me.

Gotta' love good friends.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Oilfield Trash

and it still ran with a belt not on properly? wow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.