Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Motor Oil Eating

3K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  podirtfarmer 
#1 ·
Well the truck runs great but now all of a sudden it is guzzling oil 5qts in less than 200 miles smokes out the exhaust has a odd smell nothing in the coolant. Ran great on a run to Iowa and back 2500 miles used 2-quarts and that was towing a 5th wheel back running at 70. no leaks under truck :dunno::dunno: truck has 230000 miles Would it be better to just pull it and replace with lower milage motor or see what is wrong with this one.Any ideas would be great. Thanks

#2 ·
im assuming theres no oil in your turbo? no excess oil? if its not the turbo its your rings...ouch.

#4 ·
If it happened out of nowhere its probably the oil seal on the exhaust side of the turbo. If your rings were bad enough to use 5 quarts in 200 miles you'd know it. The truck would run like crap and probably would start really hard. Start by pulling your intake hose and see if the trubo has any shaft play, up and down, side to side, and in and out.

#5 ·
Well no play in the turbo it did star hard this morning like the batterys were low then fired up and now it is smoking all the time when it is running idling or reving not a real blue smoke but smoke odd smell not coolant smell :dunno: Also the vent out of the valve cover into the intake has a lot of preassure it seems to me and if i cover it it builds up more pressure:dunno: Did my engine die :(. Any one have a motor for sale.

#6 ·
Well checked everything some of the injectors are shot. Now do I sink all the money to replace these or I just had a option open up I found a 2001 with 55000 miles on it the owner had a accident and the truck is totaled he will sell me the engine and trans for about the same $$ as the injectors would cost to do. I think she going to get a heart transplant.

#7 ·
Well the other engine fell through the guy who had it sold the computer and it has not run in over a year. I aasked him if how long he would cover it if it did not run I would have got a tail light warranty thats tough when you spend tht much money. So now i am looking for Injectors I would like to get some thing with some more power I also tow a 30ft toyhauler any direction on this would be great thanks

#8 ·
i would just get stage one sticks new oring and new cups as they may also be bad. is there oil in the fuel filter? or any black stuff in it

#10 ·
That is the diagnostic test for injector o-rings. When the lower injector o-ring goes bad, oil from the HPOP rail gets forced into the fuel rail, and backs up into the filter assembly. Change out your o-rings and you'll be running as good or better than you were before. I wouldn't even waste money on new injectors because the diagnosis of a bad injector was probably because that cylinder was burning more oil than fuel.

Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines

#12 ·
I thought of that to but dont You think injectors with 230000 miles on them need to be replaced. My thought was if I am going to open up the valve covers and pull the injectors to replace the o-rings I should change out the injectors and glowplugs also and maybe do a upgrade while I was at it.

#13 ·
Hey - if you've got the money - your looking to spend $1500 or more. It wouldn't hurt anything - I just figure that since I do my own wrench turning - I'd put off spending that kind of cash until I had to.

#15 ·
looks like the 0-rings are only 65 bucks for a set so cost is not to bad. I would just do the o-rings unless your looking for more. If you upgrade injectors you will need a custom tune to make it all work too.

#16 ·
I'm no expert, but if u can get the motorcraft rings for $65.00 for all eight injectors, that is a good deal. especially if all ur injectors are ok. that is a cheap fix. i bought a water sensor for the fuel filter housing and it cost me over $40.00! and while ur down there if an injector is shot change it, and if a glowplug is bad, change it they are $10.00 apiece. and finally check and make sure the glowplug wiring harness is ok and the gasket the harness runs thru is ok and u should be good to go! :thumb: if that is all that is wrong with it.

#17 ·
Remember, Motorcraft repackages International parts for these trucks, and then charges you 50% more for the plastic.

On the injector o-rings - you can get them from International or anywhere that sells Alliant - like dieselorings.com

Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines

#21 ·
yup these strokers are pretty specific and need to have the right parts, the right lubricity in the fuel and all that jazz

#24 ·
Well put her all together today all new o-rings got her started pretty easy then down the highway pushed her hard cleared all the smoke runnig great no smoke. Did around a 100 miles did not use any oil either. Now have to take the extra cash and do the 05 frontend. And thanks for the info worked out great

#25 ·
Congrats Podirtfarmer!! Way to go. If you dropped that thing off at the stealership, I'll bet it would of cost you 1000's by the time they got around to actually finding & fixing the problem. Cool that the guys on here can help you diagnose the problem w/o even looking under the hood. Proper diagnosis is paramount. Great Job!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.