Eating ALOT of oil - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2010, 05:10 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Eating ALOT of oil

OK, My truck has this issue with eating oil lately. I took a trip to Charlotte and back, probably 300 miles round trip last weekend. Went to start it today(havent driven it all week) and it wont move. Checked the oil level, and I am not even reading on the stick. A gallon and a half later, i am refilled.

There are no leaks that I can find. valley is dry, and no oil spots on the driveway. The truck isnt smoking when at idle, so its not giving me the impression that the turbo seals are bad. I just dont understand where the oil is going.

Had the rings and bearings replaced in motor 2 years ago, I dont think its from that. Any ideas?? Im stumped!

Heres another for you deep minded techies.....
When the truck sits for over a day, it takes some serious cranking time to fire. the HPOP is good, but the resivior seems to leak down. I checked the check valve right behind the HPOP, and its seating good. Was told it could be front cover, how does that affect it not starting?

Once its started and runs down the road a couple of miles, it starts up instantly the rest of the day. Only does it when it sits overnight or two. did notice that when nose is pointed in a slight downhill position, it fires up easier and with less cranking, but not like it should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like you have one or more leaking lower injector o-rings. The oil from the high pressure oil rails gets pushed into the fuel rail and it gets burned. Diesels actually burn oil pretty efficiently - some of the guys with the old IDI's burn straight used motor oil.

If your lower injector o-ring leak is sufficeint, it will back oil up into the fuel filter assembly, so you can pull your filter and look for contamination. If it is just a minor leak, sometimes it doesn't make it all the way back. Kind of a test where if it's in the filter you know for sure, but if it isn't you still can't rule it out.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:46 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

so, if I pulled the filter in the fuel bowl, and it was dark, that would lead to the injector O rings letting the oil run into the fuel system? I did notice the fuel was awfully dark in the fuel bowl. I thought nothing of it really, other than a dirty fuel filter. guess I need to start pulling injectors. dangit. They have been in the engine just shy of 2 years....
Old 04-03-2010, 07:50 PM

Is there any oil in the antifreeze?

My dad had a truck that electrolysis ate it up and the oil got in the coolant
Old 04-03-2010, 07:51 PM

That sucks man but at least you had someone help you figure it out fairly quick.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:55 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by choupique108 View Post
Is there any oil in the antifreeze?

My dad had a truck that electrolysis ate it up and the oil got in the coolant
no oil in the coolant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.