02 7.3 sputters and jumps at same place on road - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
02 7.3 sputters and jumps at same place on road

Hi everyone, this is my first post. Here in Texas it is around 60-70 degrees most of the time currently. I just bought a 02 7.3 DRW and often I start the motor, back out and take a right (idling), to the light, turn right and begin to accelerate. About 50 yards from there it sputters or looses power breifly, and repeats for a few seconds, and all is good afterwards.
I did the injector tuneup, changed the filter, and oil.

Any ideas? Is it the hpop or lpop? I read similar issues by searching this site. Do these engines just need to warm up even in warm climates? Could that be the prob?? I know little about motors or diesels.

Thanks in Advance - Carter

Last edited by cdnfthree; 04-03-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Carter - I'm about 200 miles south of you. Mine definitely has to "warm up" before I get full power - usually about 2-3 miles down the road. I wouldn't call it a sputter, just a feel that it has less power and slower response than after its up to operating temperature.

How is your mileage with the truck? Any smoke at any time? Which filter did you change?
Old 04-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well Thanks. When I say Sputter I mean I press the gas and get a symptom much like a clogged fuel filter has given me in carbeurated vehicles in the past. Kinda the oppossite of giving it gas. My 7.3 has 123k, gets much better fuel economy than my 09 5.4. (haven't got an accurate estimate yet as I sometimes pull a trailer).
Absolutely no smoke. Very Clear Exhgaust fumes. I changed the Oil and Filter, Drained Fuel pticok, Replaced with MotorCaraft Fuel Filter, and cycled out the old oil from the injector reservoir.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:19 PM

I've got over 160k on mine. Diesel's rely on heat from compression to ignite the fuel, but it is much more efficient when the cylinder is at operating temperature. They all limp around until they're warmed up. Completely normal. Do your maintenance, and it should live forever!
Old 04-03-2010, 04:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Good News! Thanks. If I find out that a remote start isn't an option (glowplugs), would it help if I plugged it in overnight??
Old 04-03-2010, 04:14 PM

It would, but the cost would be prohibitive. Its like a 1000 watt heater. I only plugged mine in two nights this year when it got down into the 20's (which only happens once every few decades here).

If yours runs good warm, I wouldn't worry about anything. You get used to it being a dog when its cold.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks again. I reckon I'll just put around till the needle gets to normal/low operating range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.