Bad O-rings - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 09:26 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad O-rings

I've been having issues with the truck wanting to die until the engine gets warmed up to operating range temperature. I took it to Beans, and they drove it, and they said the injector o-rings are bad, and need to be replaced. I was low on oil, and they said it's been dumping oil into the motor.

They quoted 175 ish to replace the o-rings and 350 to do it, BUT they said since the truck has 205K miles on it, they recommended replacing the injectors as well. Price 950 for reman-ed ones plus the 350 labor or 1095 for stage I plus 350 for labor.

What should I do? Don't want to replace if they don't NEED it yet. Just wanted to get some expert opinions. I don't know much about injector life and when to replace them and stuff. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

Brett
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2010, 09:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well normally when the o rings go the injectors have been getting beat up. Also 200k miles on injectors is a good mark to change them. Beans is a good place and they arent just trying to get money out of you.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:35 AM

I bought the truck chipped, and I was wondering if you could help me understand the different tuning options. Beans used to have a standard tuning package of 279 (I think) - they've gotten rid of that recently and just gone to a custom tuning chip only. Would their standard tunes and custom tunes be written on the same chip (just different tuning) or would they actually be on different type of chips. In other words, would you be able to tell by looking at it if I have the standard or custom chip?

Reason being, that they said in order to upgrade to the stage 1 injectors (if it was just the standard tunes) they would have to reburn them (another 279), but if it's the custom tunes, there's free lifetime burns. They have no record of when they installed the chip, so I'm wondering if they can even tell which one that I have.

Thanks in advance again,
Brett
Old 03-31-2010, 10:36 AM
Premium Member

I have always heard that about 200-250k miles was the average lifespan. I am just waiting for one of mine to go bad since I have 215k and then it's time for hybrids!
-Aaron
Old 03-31-2010, 10:52 AM

Tony V - you mentioned in Opinions on the Standard TS Chip tunes? that you were thinking about doing the stage 1 injectors and keeping the standard tunes? So that is an option, because the guy at Beans kinda made it seem like I would have to upgrade to the custom tunes? I don't plan on hauling too much, and I'm just wondering why I couldn't just keep the standard tunes? Thanks again for your fast reply. Need to make a decision on the repair soon.

Brett

P.S. I've got an EGT gauge, so I am able to watch that if that's one of the downsides.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:33 PM

Dang it - I just talked to Beans again, and they advised NOT to use the stage 1 injectors with their standard tunes. They said it would throw off the low idle and it would be choppy, but once up to speed it wouldn't cause problems. It was the first time I had heard that - everything else I had been reading was saying it'd be fine.

It just sucks so bad because for the extra 350 (he even was able to drop 100 off the price of the stage 1 injectors) I could have stage 1 injectors and custom tunes. Instead, I'll end up with just standard tunes and stock injectors. And the worse part is that I will never have them. If I can't justify them now at only 350, then I sure won't be able to justify them later when labor wouldn't already be included, and I wouldn't NEED them.

Oh well - such is the life of a lowly family supporter. Just wanted to share the information. Please feel free to help out with any other comments, but please take it easy on me - it was a tough enough decision.

Brett
Old 03-31-2010, 05:30 PM

what year is your truck? If you have splits and going to splits then it will run and if your going singles to singles it will run.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettdacosta View Post
Dang it - I just talked to Beans again, and they advised NOT to use the stage 1 injectors with their standard tunes. They said it would throw off the low idle and it would be choppy, but once up to speed it wouldn't cause problems. It was the first time I had heard that - everything else I had been reading was saying it'd be fine.

It just sucks so bad because for the extra 350 (he even was able to drop 100 off the price of the stage 1 injectors) I could have stage 1 injectors and custom tunes. Instead, I'll end up with just standard tunes and stock injectors. And the worse part is that I will never have them. If I can't justify them now at only 350, then I sure won't be able to justify them later when labor wouldn't already be included, and I wouldn't NEED them.

Oh well - such is the life of a lowly family supporter. Just wanted to share the information. Please feel free to help out with any other comments, but please take it easy on me - it was a tough enough decision.

Brett
Man, that sucks. I've been there on more than one occasion though. You never know what might happens down the road. It does sound like you would be going from splits shots to single shots or visa versa as it's the idle difference that is the most noticeable difference without changing tunes. Don't feel bad, I've been saving and preparing for the hybrids for about 2.5 years now. Lol
-Aaron
Old 04-01-2010, 06:47 AM

Tony, It's a 1999 born in April. Thanks for the comfort, Aaron. I appreciate it, and you're right - we never know the plans He has in store for us. So I could see getting them if 1 of 2 things happens. Either my engine craps out and they'll be replacing everything anyways (may as well just do it then) or I get some large windfall of cash my way (and even then - it'll have to be large enough to tithe, pay off student loans, put some to the mortgage, change them out, and still have some left. Can you guess which I'm hoping for? But more discouraging, can you guess which one would most likely occur? Ha - thanks again guys.

I hope others with this problem saw this thread - I found a lot of people who had the same issues replacing the ICP sensor and didn't fix the issue. Thanks, again.

Brett

P.S. - I'd be going from split shots to single shots.

Last edited by brettdacosta; 04-01-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:22 AM

If your changing then you would need tunes. If you went to a stage 1 or 2 splits you could run with out a tuner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.