Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Cold start up and dies

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  JJR 
#1 ·
Ok friend has 00 excursion that only on cold starts fires up right away runs 3 seconds then dies. Long crank starts sputters then runs fine and starts and runs fine the rest of the day. I checked oil level in the hpop reservor on cold start an it is about 2 to 3 inches bellow top. Checked again after it first starts and dies and it is empty. Then after long crank and sputter start it is full. Does this sound like a lpop problem or a reservor leak down problem? How long should it take the lpop to prime on cold start? Truck has 140,000 miles and runs perfect after this first start of the day. It can sit for 8-12 hours and still start perfect. Any ideas? If it is the lpop how hard is it to change?

#2 ·
Auto part Line art Automotive engine part Transfer case part Transmission part

It does sound like the lpop - although it could just as easily be a restricted oil pick up assembly - which would be a much bigger pain. The lpop sits in front of the motor, so its about as difficult as a water pump. The gears are directional - if you put them in backwards, you'll score the housing which requires the engine to be removed - so pay attention when re-installing.

Before I tackled that, I would check the check valve in the HPOP to make sure its not gummed up. Its supposed to stay open until the HPOP fills initially. Also, I'd make sure the oil level was good and that it was clean. Verify he is using 15w40 diesel approved oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.