no start in a bus - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 09:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
no start in a bus

my dad bought an e450 bus for cheap its complete and was running when it was parked. He is planning on swapping it into a 78 ford truck hes got. i did a search and couldnt find what I wanted. Im a cummins guy so please don't beat me up to bad. I could figure this out lickety split if it was an old 12valve, but this thing has got me stumped. He got the battery charged up good and went out and tried to start it. The tank has good fuel in it and the frame pump is pumping fuel up to the fuel filter assembly. The motor cranks over fine and the oil pressure comes right up good. The wait to start light comes on and goes out. The computer talks to the scan tool no problem and when I did the injector buzz test all 8 buzzed no problem. It just wont fire up I dont know if its the CPS or not. He shot some ether in the intake and all she'll do is bark back thru the intake. Any help you could send my way would be greatly appreciated the short bus has me stumped! Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Don't use ether while the glow plug system is functional. The ether will hit a hot glow plug and ignite - and if its in the wrong part of the cycle, you can bend valves or break things.

The 7.3 uses high pressure oil to fire the injectors. Check the HPOP reservoir (the rectangular thing in front of the filter assembly to make sure it has oil in it. Sometimes they drain down when its been sitting forever.

The CPS is a cheap first step. Never hurts to have a spare.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you. Yea the ether will pop in a cummins too when it hits the grid heaters I never gave the glow plugs a thought! I'll pick up a cps just in case its kind of a bear being in the bus. How do u check the oil in the hpop? It has been sitting for quite awhile. So the oil draining back could be a definite possibility. Thank you again for the information!
Old 03-22-2010, 05:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

There's a hex plug on the top of the rectangular shaped reservoir. You need the oil to be within about an inch from the top. Any extra you put in just flows back to the pan. Make sure and put the plug back in before starting or you'll have a geiser. You can change the CPS from the bottom of the vehicle. Shouldn't be hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.