lack of power 7.3 with my "new" truck - help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2010, 02:36 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
lack of power "new" truck - $50 for the answer!

No power pulling

Long story short. Just purchased a super clean cc lb 2002 from out west.
Before getting it I had it sent to the local ford dealership to have them do a full vehicle inspection. The only thing they told me about was it need tires / rear brakes and had a oil leak - possibly the rear main.
So when I get 1600 miles across country and test drive it -- it really didn't "wow" me with the power. This is my first diesel and the first 7.3 I've drove. The only other diesel I've drove was a 6.0 that had exhaust / edge / etc etc.
After driving it I called the ford dealer back and talked to the diesel tech and asked if he checked out the turbo and made sure it works because I really didn't hear it or it was real faint. He assures me it did and I can't compare the 7.3 to the 6.o because the 7.3 use cubic inches and less boost - made sense and this is there head diesel tech.

On the way back it did ok but didn't have a real load - tow dolly a small car but I wasn't impressed with the power or mileage.

I just went up north Michigan to pick up my toy hauler and I can't believe how horrible this pulls. 30' camper but with no exaggeration my 1/2 ton 5.3 avalanche got up to speed and held speed up hills better.

Any ideas where to start?
Thanks in advance!!!!

Last edited by jkoz10; 03-31-2010 at 04:09 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
check for boost leaks intercooler boots, other rubber boots, etc, check the turbo shaft for play, and trust me even on a stock truck you should be able to hear it spooling.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
its an 7.3 they are not too fun in stock form. They were built to pull just not get there really fast. Try doing 70 up a 6% grade with both truck and see which one does it better.

but honestly get an intake exhaust and some gauges and you will think it is awesome. That is all these really need to be woken up

Last edited by dereku; 03-20-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:57 PM

What's the easiest way to check for leaks - just physically look for cracks and feel for pressure and vaccume?

Seriously I'm having a hard time keeping 55-60mph on flat ground pulling my toy hauler. It is probably 10k but still this is terrible.

Thanks
Old 03-20-2010, 03:02 PM

well that doesnt sound right. my 7.3 bone stock would haul 2k in the bed no problem and I hauled a 6k trailer like it was nothing. Well it was hard but it still kept speed no problem.

Best way is get gauges in my opinion. Then you know if your boost is lower than expected. Otherwise I would check all of those leaks. My dad had a 6oh and when it had a boost leak it was a dog and got like 10 MPG.

But the 7.3 turbo is a lot quieter. My SD was never really stock it had upgrades from day one. But my OBS was older and it had less power and it could do all that.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:10 PM

Send a message via MSN to dusted4eva
Probally a boost leak.
Don't believe your mechanic on the real main seal leak. It's 99.999% of the time from oil in the valley running to the back of the engine. My leak was from the HPOP. I almost got sucked in to a rear main job. Thank God for Powerstroke.org . This forum has saved me many $$$.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:11 PM

I'm getting 7.6 mpg towing this back how and its taking FOREVER!

I think if I can't find a leak by monday its going to the ford garage to get diagnosed.

Monday I need to figure out what gages / intake and exhaust I need to get on the way. Or do I straight pipe it and do the 6637 filter?
Old 03-20-2010, 03:20 PM

You can do either one you want first. You would need EGT trans temp and boost for gauges.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

you should be able to find the leak if there is one. just look on both of the boots going into the "Y" are tight. and the other two boots that go into the intercooler itself. there is something definatly wrong with that mileage.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:38 PM

Well I got home just before dark set in so i only had a few minutes with a flashlight to look around..... all the boots looked to be in great condition at the "Y", little oily but I didn't see any signs of deteriation.
I'll look over them again tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusted4eva View Post
Probally a boost leak.
Don't believe your mechanic on the real main seal leak. It's 99.999% of the time from oil in the valley running to the back of the engine. My leak was from the HPOP. I almost got sucked in to a rear main job. Thank God for Powerstroke.org . This forum has saved me many $$$.
As I was looked over the turbo rubber hoses I definately saw a decent amount of oil in the valley mid way and towards the back. I'll have to check into the HPOP also before I pull the trans to do a rear main seal.....??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.