low power and 11.5 MPG? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 07:53 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
low power and 11.5 MPG?

Hey,

My truck is running ok, no cold start problems, no fuel in oil, new fuel filter, air box filter clean. I just did a Exhaust presure sensor cleaning. Tube I can not get out, but got sensor out and cleaned it. There was some stuff in the tube, but not clogged. That helped a little, but not much. Another member here thinks it might be a turbo issue, IE wastegate not adjusted right, but I have took the tube off of it and no differance. As of right now, I can not see boost, I need to get a T conector for it.

Does this seam right, before I remove the turbo and go over everything, or is there something else I sould look at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You've probably already done this, but if not - make sure and check all your boots (sometimes you'll get a rupture and Murphy's law says they always rupture on the side you can't see) or leaking up-pipes. Either one will kill your boost and MPG.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:34 AM
Serving Our Country!

Yes and No about IC boots. I could not get them off to get a good check on them.... I guess I have to bite the bullet and get them off to check them out.

When the boost guage did work, I was getting 17 to 19 PSI, but since I have played with the wastegate and the t connector broke, I have no idea what boost I am running.

another thought, could there be oil in the IC itself? Truck did not have a ccv mod untill 245000..... and there was a lot of oil in the turbo and IC pipe going to the turbo.

I will also check all boots too.... just to make sure....
Old 03-11-2010, 09:41 AM
ARMY MOM!!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to korg70kbc
I'd PB blast that EBP tube & get it out & inspect it good. guzzles has a good right up on it. took me forever & I have small hands.. it does get clogged at the port into the manifold. I had to take mine off again & stick a hanger in there to clean it, also mine had a hole at the point where it touches the front of the motor & I had almost no boost at all. also the air intake tube cracks like the other guy said, "where u can't c it"
just some thoughts.....good luck
Old 03-11-2010, 09:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You might have oil at the bottom of the IC, but I can't imagine it would be full enough to cause a problem. I wouldn't take the IC boots off, just clean them up and feel for perforations. Check the Y-pipe boots and turbo boots the same way.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:44 AM
ARMY MOM!!!!

use hairspry when u put them back on too! I had sooo many issues with oil dirt & plugged this & that & now its all back to normal. HOPEFULLY, u have a garage & aren't doing it in the freezing cold like I did
also, adjusting the wastegate, did u turn the rod? u need to turn it back, if all else fails, I have a spare one here
Old 03-11-2010, 09:55 AM
ARMY MOM!!!!

try this page, hopefully it works
http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/ebps.php
Old 03-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Serving Our Country!

well time to find time to tear into my all day long tasks to check.

check IC boots, EBPS and tube, clean up too. I did find some of the spider pipe boot clams loose, but I highly doubt that will work...

for the good news, at least it is not a another problem.... During the colder days, I did have the normal smoke, blue / white for about 5 minutes. To me it seamed a bit too much, but it was not like i was smoking out the whole neighborhood.

I hope to get some of it done this weekend. Too many things to get done, not enough time.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:06 AM
Serving Our Country!

update

well when I had a few minutes, I pulled sensor out and cleaned tube with weed eater rope and liquide wrench. Cleaned up sensor a little better.

I think that did help out a little bit. When going around a corner from a stop, and it is wet, it will spin one side of the rear tires, it did not do that before. ( truck was warmed up) so I am getting closer. Now the truck has a huge turbo lag. I can mash on hte skinny, and it just bogs down and then it begins to pick up.

Here is my plans, order EBP tube and sensor and replace. Maybe this weekend if I am not too busy, pull turbo out, and set waste gate and look for up-pipe leaks. The last time I had the turbo out for a oil leak, I did not like how the up-pipes where loose. I thought it might be from it being cold and nothing was expanded from heat. I do not have the money for new up-pipes, but I can get some new gaskets to throw in the up's. I did use new ford ones, but I thnk they are not big enough. I am going to try the chevy doughnuts and see if that helps any.

and try and get a t-connector for my boost today and see what PSI i am running before I tear it all down.

more updates to come
Old 03-12-2010, 09:40 AM
Serving Our Country!

first update

Hey all,

Just ran around and got all the parts to make a unbreakable boost t connector. Cast t fitting, 2 1/4 inch air hose barbs, 6 inches of 1/4 fuel line, and a 3/16 compression fitting. Got it all connected and I got 8 - 9 psi wot in park! so I know that the lines are working!!! I did let the truck warm up for 5 minutes first, but kids already spent few hours in the car running around, so they did not want to go in the truck

now the next thing for later today, see how much boost I am pushing. before I tinkered with it, I was getting 17 -20 wot driving. so now I can see what I am getting agian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.