Engine miss? Bad valve cover harness? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 11:30 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine miss? Bad valve cover harness?

my truck has an engine miss for the first few miles when the engine is cold. You mainly feel it in the higher gears. I know this is gonna sound crazy but the only way to get it to go away is to floor and you can feel the truck have more power once it clears up also once it clears up it will be fine until the engine cools off again. it also seems like the trans shifts a lil funny when its missing. the ses light is not on it has a new cps, new map sensor. it has been like this for a couple months the cyl cont test showed cyl 3 & 8 bad so i changed injectors in 3&8 but it still shows 3 bad. Could this possibly be a bad under valve cover harness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2010, 04:09 PM

Update i put a new valve cover gasket and harness on pass side today and its still doin same thing.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

How cold is it where you are? The glow plugs stay engaged for a little while after the engine starts - if you had a couple or more glow plugs out, it would take longer for those cylinders to come to life...
Old 03-05-2010, 06:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Run a compression test.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:44 AM

same issues see my thread need help rough idle no power until very warm, haven't figured it out but hpo crossover seemed to help mine, and fixing up pipes leaks, i'm thinking ipr or injectors on mine. good luck

Last edited by thughes; 03-06-2010 at 04:54 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:08 PM

not a glow plug issue a ford tech told me today it could be my idm?
Old 05-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Serving Our Country!

Every figure it out?
Old 05-14-2010, 08:53 AM

have you tried the valve cover harness plugs? both sides inner and outside? that was my answer to my wild goose chase. good luck
Old 05-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey I have the same issue. #3 and #8 did you recently get the cps recall done? i took mine to the stealership to get a glow plug relay replaced and they took out my black cps and put in a new gray one. truck ran alright for a day... next morning SES is on. I then took it back they tell me #3 and #8 injector are toast and I need new UVCH's I get #8 injector done like an idiot. then get it back it runs worse than ever, tired of being taken by the dealer I take it to an independent that is highly regarded by a local forum. They tell me my #8 isnt fixed right by the dealer and want to do #3 injector as well. I authorize work that day they give back to me telling me it is fixed. next day SES is back on. I take it back down there they flash the PCM and tell me it is good. Truck ran great for about 80 miles then SES is back. Here I am today, generally when the cps light is on it feels like it is missing from 1200-1800 rpm, and if i get on it goes strong and smooth. I just bought and AutoEnginuity and a "Black CPS" should be here by the end of the week, so tired of throwing money at this truck

I have found countless other threads on how for some of these trucks the gray CPS they are putting for the recall is causing misses and failing CCT for #3 and #8.

I am just getting started with my battle with wondries ford of montebello to try and recoup most of the 2500 i have spent due to what i am very close to believing is this damn gray CPS that I never even authorized.

Hope this helps and I can relate :-\
Old 05-16-2010, 08:28 AM

I burned up my valve cover gasket wiring harness, internal connections. CEL light on and no codes, running real rough and no power
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.