Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

glow plugs flakin out on me

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  guzzle 
#1 ·
so every once and a while ill turn the key and the glow plug light will be very dimly lit and i can hear a solenoid somewhere freakin out...like tdtdtdtdtdtd...lol, the glow plugs are not workin at this time. any had this before? bad connection? bad solenoid?

#3 ·
two things that come to mind that ive seen over the years are one - moisture in pcm on that model and also they had some problems with the actual fuse panel under the dash seperating internally causing power loss to several components , loss of ground , etc. relays clicking fast usually means ground loss, may not be your problem just my two cents

#4 ·
i havnt checked the voltage on the batteries yet while cranking.....but while its acting up it acts just like no glow plugs...cranks real good but wont fire up.... this problem just started a couple days ago and its not very bad.....yet....

#5 ·
Check the voltage with a digital voltmeter while someone turns it over. It needs at least 10.5 volts. If less than that, remove and clean your terminal posts and charge the batteries. If it is still less than 10.5v, have the batteries load tested. If one is bad, replace them both. A weak battery will bring a new one down to its level and shorten its life.

These trucks will crank real good with less than 10.5 volts but it's not enough to allow the IDM to fire the injectors.

If the voltage is good, then check what SCUFFY said. Your windshield may be leaking and dripping on the fusebox or PCM.

#6 ·
i did get my windshield changed not too long ago...a few months

#8 ·
hey thanks i better do that... we are getting rain off and on this week in SLC so that could be related. where is it? whats it look like?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.