Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Down on Power

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Brian Tiffany 
#1 ·
I own a 02 F 250 7.3 L w/ over 150,000 miles on it. No real issue's up til now expect the occasional cam shaft sensor. Over the course of the last few mpnth's I have noticed the truck down shifting a lot on grades and generally seems to be down on power under normal driving conditions. When I ask it to perform, or get on it a bit the truck seems to have plenty of steam and really takes off. The truck gets regular routine maint. to include oil, air and fuel filters changed. Just looking for a little insight before heading to the shop. Thanks in advance.

Brian

#2 ·
#4 ·
Another Issue

Okay I took the sensor and line off just as instructed and man was it ever choked up. I cleaned everything up and attempted to put the line back on only to find that the nipple on the side of the engine is stripped. I got the line back on and everything is back together but the line is certainly not tight. I don't think it would back off but there's defiantly a little play in it. I took the truck out for a test drive and it did seem to have much better power. I guess my question is now do I try to get the get that nipple out and replace it, or leave well enough alone, atleast for now?

Brian

#5 ·
It needs to be air tight. If its leaking - fix it. Was there much gunk up in the sensor? If you can't get it all out - sometimes you have to replace it.

#10 ·
What would happen if I just disconnect the plug to the sensor on top the motor and purchased the plug termination ends from dfuser?

Thanks
I was going to suggest something like that. I'm not sure if anyone has anything like this.

I wonder how many people have a clogged sensor and are actually feeling lack of power from the EBPV being closed? I don't have one but I guess its worth a try to clean out the line and sensor.

#11 ·
Finished

Went to Ford this morning and purchased the nipple for the exhaust manifold and a new EBP line. It wasn't easy but getting the old nipple out wasn't as difficult as I thought it might be. Everything is back together and I notice a big difference in how the truck runs. Thanks for the help.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.