loss in fuel mileage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 09:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
loss in fuel mileage

I have a 99 250 7.3 turbo 4x4 that the fuel mileage will drop by 4 miles regardless of towing or not. Comes and goes. When I first got the truck I could get 18-19 mpg but the best I get now is 14. There are no codes, New air filter, new fuel filter. Don't know if this is relevant but I've run diesel kleen every fill up since I've had it. Thanks in advance for any help ya'll can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

is there another site that can help me?
Old 02-25-2010, 04:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

BAD MPG

Check you hubs and brakes for dragging. Also have heard cold weather fuel can cause bad MPG. I also sent you a PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would check the fuel filter drain valve. Mine was leaking and dropping the fuel right out the tube and down to the bottom of the motor on the passenger side. Replaced the o rings and wala, back to 19 to 20 mpg Just a thought, and my 2 cents
Old 03-03-2010, 08:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys for your replys, The loss in mileage has been happening for a year or so and the winter fuel mix makes no difference, as it also happens in the summer. When I was researching this site and another for a possible cause I came across the drain valve issue, fortunately that wasn't my problem but a friend was having that problem and I was able to tell him of the fix. I forgot to mention earlier that my driving habits are very good. I found out a long time ago I got best fuel mileage if I kept it in cruise control as much as possible while bumping out of overdrive on steep inclines while towing. Thanks, keep it coming.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:43 PM

Check out this page. Several people have had dramatic results cleaning out the exhaust back pressure sensor tube:

Welcome to guzzle's Exhaust Backpressure Sensor Cleaning Maintenance Web Page
Old 03-03-2010, 06:46 PM

good info on link
Old 03-05-2010, 07:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I recently replaced the ebp sensor and made a new tube for it.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Still looking for help. I'm getting 20 lbs of boost, so I don't think there's a problem there. Wish I had a compression gauge when I recently replaced my glow plugs. Maybe a problem there? This is my first diesel so I'm on a learning curve. I've restored several vehicles, and am a millwright, well unemployed millwright. So I know my way around tools, but I'm having problems wrapping my mind around this loss.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:52 PM

You said you made the tube for the EBPV - I don't want to be insulting, but are you 100% sure it is leak proof. The reason I ask - another owner recently had a similar problem, and when he went to reinstall it, he messed up the nipple where the tube goes on. He wrote back that cleaning the EBPV hadn't helped at all, and that he wasn't sure he needed to fix the nipple problem. Well, he replaced the nipple, and with the leak free connection, suddenly the EBPV cleaning had indeed completely resolved his problem.

I would also make sure the hoses going to the MAP sensor are intact - being a '99, you could have some dry-rot.

I wouldn't worry a lot about compression unless you are having bizarre amounts of blow-by. I'm sure you've done all the maintenance - clean oil, differential full of clean gear oil, no brakes dragging, tires inflated (as per President Obama's directives).

No fuel leaks anywhere? You said it is a 4x4 - any chance the hubs are not disengaging? Is the torque converter locking up at the appropriate time? What speed are you driving? What is the RPM at that speed?

I'll try to come up with more suggestions when you respond.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.