Fuel All over. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 10:13 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel All over.

I hopped in my rig this morning and everything seemed normal. It had been idling for a few minutes, was mostly warm. Everything seemed ok.

I went a couple miles, just hopped on the highway when I started getting a strooong smell of diesel. I work at an airport at night so I thought maybe its my work clothes (jet fuel). Then I look down and realize my fuel gauge is going nuts, the fuel level is dropping like a rock. So I quickly get off and pull over and pop the hood.

Somehow the fuel filter cap had come unscrewed and diesel was all over the engine bay, I mean everywhere, leaking down on my steering, all over. It was also smoking, which makes everything look much more serious than it may or may not be.

I screwed the cap on tightly, and headed home with a pit stop at the fuel pump.

Everything seems fine now. Except when the tach hits 2k I get a rejection noise and nothing happens. Kind of like its just revving but not going anywhere. Im not sure what is going on here. Its never done it before.
Ideas?

Also as a side note, could diesel get into the transmission and mess up my clutch? The clutch feels like its slipping BADLY, and its also never done that before. The letoff of the pedal is almost twice as far out as normal right now.

As another side note, is there anything I should do as a result of diesel getting all over everything?? Should I change the fluids or should everything be ok?

EDIT: Been cleaning it up and making sure that was the reason it was leaking. Seems like that WAS the problem. Also, doesn't seem to be having issues at 2k anymore. At least not in 2nd gear. Clutch is still acting stupid. And Im still curious as to whether or not there is anything I should do to prevent other problems from occuring. Thanks!

Last edited by icb12; 02-17-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2010, 10:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If the cap popped, I'd be a little concerned that my fuel regulator was stuck - easy enough to check with a fuel pressure gauge or by just dissasembling it and visually inspecting. The fuel will run down the valley, out the drain, and saturate your clutch. Others with this problem indicate it will eventually burn off. If your fuel filter cap is showing signs of wear, you might want to replace it with the WIX filter that comes with a new cap. Best of luck.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dray8165 View Post
If the cap popped, I'd be a little concerned that my fuel regulator was stuck - easy enough to check with a fuel pressure gauge or by just dissasembling it and visually inspecting. The fuel will run down the valley, out the drain, and saturate your clutch. Others with this problem indicate it will eventually burn off. If your fuel filter cap is showing signs of wear, you might want to replace it with the WIX filter that comes with a new cap. Best of luck.
That makes sense. I'll look and see if the regulator is stuck.
So I can expect the clutch to return to normal after a while? Thats good, I was a little concerned.

Thanks dray.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Fuel leak running down the passengers side

I just purchased a 2000 f 350 7.3 and I have a small drip of diesel coming down and dripping of the rear of the exhaust manifold on the passengers side. Any suggestions?
Old 02-20-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterp51 View Post
I just purchased a 2000 f 350 7.3 and I have a small drip of diesel coming down and dripping of the rear of the exhaust manifold on the passengers side. Any suggestions?
The most common site for these to leak is the yellow drain valve assembly at the back of the fuel filter assembly. The fix is fairly painless - you pull out the four torx screws, clean it up, and replace the 3 o-rings. A great place to purchase them is here:

Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines
Old 02-20-2010, 11:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Fuel leak on passenger side

I will have to look at this better. I seen no fuel at all when I looked yesterday down in the valley. I wasn't really sure what I was looking at....but since last night I have learned where the fuel filter was and water separator. Because I also have water in fuel indication on. This is my first diesel so I'm learning. I appreciate all the info. After I finsih servicing the tranny I'll take a look at that again. Thanks
Old 02-20-2010, 12:37 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
im guessing your clutch is fried. it happened to a member with an OBS with a ZF5.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:38 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I just ruined my clutch
Old 02-21-2010, 02:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It looks like my fuel leak is coming off the back of the passenger side head where a line and fitting is attached. This is next to the exhaust pipe coming off the turbo at the firewall where it comes down. Is there a banjo fitting there? I don't see any evidence of the water separator drain leaking at all.

Last edited by fosterp51; 02-21-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:52 PM

http://www.dieselorings.com/docs/fueldrain.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.