motor problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 12:23 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
motor problems

can anyone tell me how to check the blowby of my truck to see if it is to much? i took my truck to the dealer they said i had low compression because i had to much blow by so i asked did you do a compression test they said well no we could tell by the blow by when i got home i took the oil cap off and started truck blow by looks just as it did when it was brand new my truck doesnt use any oil does not smoke only rough idle at start up that i belive to be injectors.

anyway i left without paying for the simple fact of im not paying for someone to start my truck and take the oil cap off and say hey you need a new engine.

any help is good help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2010, 12:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like you got a gasoline motor tech that isn't familiar with the PSD - if you are worried about it - you would have to do a compression test. Do it yourself and save some money...
Old 02-16-2010, 12:34 PM

thanx

to be honest i'm not to worried about but i had heard about some kind of gauge you can put on them to check blowby bad thing is the diesel mech that worked on my truck they said hes the best they have lol so i'm stuck what all would i need to do a compression test?
Old 02-16-2010, 12:37 PM

You would have to take off your valve covers, remove your glow plugs, and have a compression gauge with the adapter for the glow plug hole. More than absolute pressure, you are looking for variance.

The reason I wouldn't be worried is that PSD's don't have a positive crankcase ventilation setup like gassers. The blow by gasses are passively vented into the intake - when you remove the oil filler cap - you just see the gasses there. As long as it is running ok, and your mileage is decent - I wouldn't even worry about it.

A rough idle at startup could be a few glow plugs out - the glow plugs stay on for a minute or two after startup until temperatures come up. Do you see any white smoke at your tailpipe while its warming up?
Old 02-16-2010, 12:49 PM

yes

just a puff from un burnt fuel but my injectors are bad i got some stuff on the way to hopefully fix them
Old 02-16-2010, 02:17 PM

OK - think this through. A bad injector would either inject too little fuel (no smoke, missing) or be dumping fuel - (lots of white smoke/loud clunking/hydrolock). If you are getting a puff of unburnt fuel - especially as the engine is warming up, I bet you have one or more glow plugs that are out. You can check them with an ohmmeter, but if you are going to do a compression test - you can check them out one by one and replace them as needed. I bet that will fix all your problems. I don't have a lot of confidence in any snake oil cures for your injectors, but let us know how it turns out.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i am having alot of blow by, constant blue smoke, and a few oil leaks. where is a good place to get a compression tester that will work on a 7.3 and not brake me.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:37 PM

i hear ya

i'm not a beliver in the snake oil cure myself but when they offer a money back guarantee i'll take there bet lol

as far as glow plugs i have checked them and the relay all are good and the glow plugs are less then 3months old the smoke is coming from 6 injectors that are over pumping becuae of the 2 that are not pumping enough at first start up from problems in the oil side of my injector we had them out and had them checked and was determined to be the oil side.

can i get a compression tester from say advanced auto?
Old 02-16-2010, 05:40 PM

nate 1616 i can almost say 100% you need a re ring kit or you have a hole in one or more pistons i would get a bore cam and check out each bore look for bad scratches or dips or cracks or holes in pistons another quick method is to start the truck and hold a sheet of printer paper against tailpipe if it ever trys to scuk paper back to tailpipe its without a doubt rings or piston hope that helps
Old 02-17-2010, 02:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks dixiedevil, the odd thing is the truck only has 150000 miles on it and runs fine most of the time, except for last week it ran kinda rough, but then is was fine a couple days ago. i need to pull the engine and get my leaks fixed anyways. leaked 3 qts in 3 days from diff. places. i'll try the printer paper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.