How do I replace injector o-rings? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2010, 02:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How do I replace injector o-rings?

Can somebody please describe the procedure to replace fuel injector o-rings? This is to address a major engine oil consumption problem. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2010, 03:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Location: Quit Iraq, got a house in Tooele, Ut, Back in a big wrecker playing in traffic!
Maintain has an awesome video clip about injector R&R, and the injector orings are simple, just be careful, take your time, and put them on in order from the top to the bottom. I had to get a set for 1 injector from a dealer, they came with excellent instructions. Or, a parts guy might xerox them for you
Old 02-14-2010, 06:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but how do I find Maintain's video?
Old 02-14-2010, 06:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Anybody???
Old 02-15-2010, 09:33 AM

Location: Quit Iraq, got a house in Tooele, Ut, Back in a big wrecker playing in traffic!
Injector R & R

Took me a little while to find it. Go up to the top of the main forums page, there is another 7.3 section there, too many threads to list, I saw another one about diagnosing oil leaks.

I think his user name is Marty now, sorry!

One thing occurred to me, I might be wrong, but I don't think injector orings cause high oil use for long, when an oil ring blows, it will usually push ALOT of oil into the fuel system (oil pressure is way higher than the fuel pressure at the injector) so it will push a gallon or 2 into the fuel, did you pull your filter and check it for motor oil? If it's clean, I'd look elsewhere because the fuel ports are below the oil ports, so oil can't get into the cylinder without going past the fuel ports. I lost an oring once, got a little smoke, but the first clue I had was it started missing and then quit, I checked the oil and was 2 gal low, filled it up, ran fine, 15 miles later I was 2 gal low and on the side of the road again. Checked the fuel filter, it was more oil than fuel in the bowl.

It could be an oring, but I'd advise a little more troubleshooting before you spend $100 and a day or 2 on something that might not be your problem. Also, if you are going to replace orings, might as well do glowplugs while it's apart, and ford has a kit for the under valve cover ("UVC") harness, it's about $18, helps cure the problem of loose connections. Actually, there are a few more things that can be done all at once, Tymar intake, EBPV delete, CCV mod, foil delete in the charge air pipe. You'll be taking all that stuff off anyhow, why do it again later?

Last edited by Colotow; 02-15-2010 at 09:36 AM. Reason: more ideas
Old 02-15-2010, 06:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks Colotow! I just thought I had searched everywhere... That write up and video will be a big help! And yes, he does have engine oil in the fuel filter bowl as you suspected. Thanks again!
Old 02-15-2010, 06:53 PM

No problem and good luck, 75% of what I know about Powerstrokes I've learned on here reading and asking questions.

Be careful as you pop them out, remember you only take 1 bolt out of the holddown and then slide the bracket off of the other one WITHOUT loosening it, and be very careful as you torque them back down, too little and they can leak again, too tight can warp the injector and damage it, it's an INCH lb torque spec. A good manual will be priceless!

Use a mirror, and a good flashlight, and LOOK into each hole, make sure you don't leave a copper o-ring from an injector tip in the bottom, sometimes they slip off when you pull them.

Also, you will probably find 1 "AE" series injector in the #8 hole, it's the one known as the long lead type. If so, it must go back in the #8, the rear drivers side. This was fords fix for noisy injectors, the #8 fires right after the #6, and it was loosing fuel pressure, so they put in one that stays open a little longer to allow it to fill with fuel.

Best help I can offer, see if anyone else that has done a set is nearby and has time to watch and help, makes it easiest of all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.