metal fragments in oil - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2007, 02:59 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to adrenalinejunky
metal fragments in oil

read title need i say more????????? Checked oil noticed shavings on end of dipstick, changed oil with 5200 since last change. Wiped drain plug with towel, sprayed starter fluid and it looked like my stepdaugter dumped a bottle of glitter. Truck is still running great, 165xxx miles. Could the metal possibly be coming from somewhere other than the bottom end of the engine?
What kinda ball park price for a rebuild? Could the oil pump be the problem, pressure is fine....
Just order an oil test kit from Napa... anyone use one of them yet? Really hate to get rid of the truck since it's paid for, but not sure if it's worth dumping a lot of cash in a 10 yoa truck....... and to top it all off UPS tried to deliver the TS programmer today :rain:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2007, 03:41 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Not good buddy not good at all. But at least it is only shavings and not chunks or pieces of metal. What kind of oil are you using. It could be alot of things causing you to have metal in the oil. Alot of moving parts in your engine. Along with alot of bearings as well. Keep us posted on the out come.

As for a rebuild price all depends on what you want done. It can cost anywhere from 5,000 dollars to 50,000 dollars.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

One thing to look at would be the turbo, shake that shaft!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2007, 09:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to adrenalinejunky
ok shacking the shaft.... I know there is a shaft for the turbo but beng this is my first time having problems you gotta give me a bit more detail. As far as oil I believe it is 15-40, boss buys it in 55 gal drums.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:29 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalinejunky View Post
ok shacking the shaft.... I know there is a shaft for the turbo but beng this is my first time having problems you gotta give me a bit more detail. As far as oil I believe it is 15-40, boss buys it in 55 gal drums.
When the engine is cold and not running. Remove the down pipe from the turbo, remove the intake tube from the turbo. Reach into the turbo and grab the turbo propeller and shake it up and down side to side and see how much play you have. As your metal shavings could have came from the turbo. As your turbo uses the engine oil for lubrication.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks bigcountrysg had to step away from the puter for awhile today to go get the g-rator oil pump for this 7.3. Quess I should have been more clear in my notes again lol.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Jon

Leave the down pipe on

Thats to much work. Take the intake pipe off and check for end play in the shaft there. I doubt thats where its coming from though.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

as much as i hate to say this word (Dealership) but uncertanty with fragments is a big problem. but you can get an oil sample kit from your local Dealerrip run your truck for a little bit and pull a sample from your crankcase
and have them anyalize your sample and 9 times out of 10 they can pin point the problem down to the bearing or the rod etc. it is what we use at cat for failure analysis before suggesting a possible complete rebuild or replacement
good luck
Old 04-12-2007, 05:04 PM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
Contact Blackstone Labs and get an oil analysis kit and send it to them. You'll be out like $30. They can tell you what part of the truck the metal shavings came from and if the amount of shavings are leading to engine failure in the near or distant future. I have my kit, (nothing but a bottle and means to ship it) but I have yet to get the oil changed. (speaking of, I need to get the durn oil changed this week!)
Old 04-12-2007, 05:18 PM
Banned

Yup, drain it and get a blackstone done ASAP.

Unless there is something really wrong your engine should not have metal flakes in the oil. May have a spun bearing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.