Engine lost power and then kind of sputtered and died - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 05:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Engine lost power and then kind of sputtered and died

Hello, I have a 02 f-350 7.3. last night the engine lost power and then sputterd and died. I thought at first it was empty on fuel. Thought maybe fuel guage was bad. Put fuel in tank and cranked engine. The engine knocked started and chugged and then died. I opened the fuel release valve on the filter body and about a pint of fuel shot out the bottom with a lot of pressure. I cranked it again and it sputterd and started but knocked and died. It did not matter where the throttle peddle was the engine would barely start and then chug and then die. I again opened the release valve and fuel shot out the tube. Again I cranked it and it started and chugged and died. Also while cranking or when it started it puffed black smoke from exhaust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 06:42 AM

I had the same kind thing happen to mine recently, and it was low oil. Evidently I've got either a bad inector(s) or injector o-rings, cause it was sucking a lot of oil into the fuel and burning it up (although not smoking excessively). I went through 3-4 gallons in a couple of days, and the way I discovered the problem was the truck did exactly what you described. When it wouldn't start, I checked the oil and it wasn't even on the dipstick. Added about 5-6 qts and it started right up. . . . . .then I drove it to the ford house for a rather expensive visit. . . . .should be ready tomorrow. . . . . .
Old 02-12-2010, 11:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Unhappy

I checked oil level it took about 4 oz. I charged both batteries full and then cranked it. It started up and for a short time white smoke billowed. Then the smoke cleared and the engine idles rough. It actually will shake the whole truck. If I bring the RPM up to abpout 2K it smoothes out and runs pretty good but idleing it shakes my teeth out. ???
Old 02-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alweierman View Post
I checked oil level it took about 4 oz. I charged both batteries full and then cranked it. It started up and for a short time white smoke billowed. Then the smoke cleared and the engine idles rough. It actually will shake the whole truck. If I bring the RPM up to abpout 2K it smoothes out and runs pretty good but idleing it shakes my teeth out. ???
should be able to just let it idle for a while, or run it up and down the road a few times, should smooth it out. sounds like when you run out of fuel.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I took it out for a run and at 2k or higher it runs pretty normal but when it idles it shakes the engine and drivetrain. I let it run for about an hour. I also notice that when I accelerate there is a vibration???
Old 06-23-2010, 08:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via Skype™ to wrench
Have you had any better luck? Or found out what the problem was? My 99 has identical symptoms and I need to get this thing back on the road!! Please help! Please let me know if you found out more! Thank you so much!
Old 06-23-2010, 11:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This is exactly what my wife's Excursion did this evening right before I left for work.

I hope you can solve your problem so we can all learn something.

I spent my whole lunch hour on the computer searching and reading until I found this post.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via Skype™ to wrench
Hey man! My truck is back up and running. I've put about 150 miles on it since I had the problem. The truck sat the day after it happened, but two days after I started playing with it and it eventually smoothed out and now is normal.

Don't be mad at me though because I have no idea exactly what the problem was! I decided it had to be one of these three things tho:
1) Sucked air into fuel system (Possible - fuel light just came on)
2) Sucked air into oil system which made it to the HPOP (Not sure how this happens if it even can)
3) Got water in the IDM (Possible 'cause I hit a large puddle/lake just a half mile before)

Sorry I can't help you much if any! I was mistaken in thinking I had too much fuel pressure. So the first thing I checked was the fuel pressure return poppet on the filter housing to make sure it wasn't plugged. All I can say is make sure the oil is topped off and there's plenty of fuel. The next things I was going to check were fuel pressure at the heads and figure out if I could do a buzz test.

If nothing else ---BUMP--- !!

Any luck with yours??

Let me know - good luck - keep me posted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.