Fuel leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2006, 08:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel leak

It seems that I have a fuel leak around the top of the fuel bowl. The fuel is leaking and sitting in the valley on top of the engine under the bowl. About two months ago I broke the top of a filter putting it in. The only way I could get it out was with a hammer and a screwdriver. When I put the new filter in today I noticed there was a little indention from the screwdriver right where the seal seats and extends out just a little. I thought the seal would seat over it and not leak but it is still leaking maybe even a little worse. Does anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2006, 08:15 AM
Banned

make sure that is where your leak is from before you jump the gun......pressure wash that whole valley clean....start her up....blow it dry with compressed air......then start it up and see if you can see where the leak is from. there are two fuel lines that have o rings to seal them that come into each side of the filter housing, as well as the drain valve at the back and of course the lid

a minor imperfection in the top of that will usually still seal since the o ring actually seals on the inside edge of the lip.....but it is possible that that is where its leaking from.........if you do end up determining that the leak is from the cap......take some very fine sandpaper and try to gently sand the knick down so no burrs are stucking up.....then see if it will seal.....make sure not to sand down the actual sealing area though.......if it still wont seal you will need to replace that fuel filter housing.......Marc
Old 03-27-2006, 02:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I would almost guarantee your leak is from the o-rings of the fuel drain valve. If you have fuel in the valley that is normally the cause. Don't spend the 15 - 30 dollars at Ford or whatever they are charging. Go to a hardware store, pickup 2 #90 o-rings and put them on. Will cause less than a buck, cheapest repair on a 7.3 you will find.

All you have to do is take the 4 torx bolts out (which can be a pain) and replace the o-rings.

I did mine about 8 months ago and 10,000 miles and haven't had a leak yet.

Those drains are prone to leak from there.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire-medic8104
I would almost guarantee your leak is from the o-rings of the fuel drain valve. If you have fuel in the valley that is normally the cause. Don't spend the 15 - 30 dollars at Ford or whatever they are charging. Go to a hardware store, pickup 2 #90 o-rings and put them on. Will cause less than a buck, cheapest repair on a 7.3 you will find.

All you have to do is take the 4 torx bolts out (which can be a pain) and replace the o-rings.

I did mine about 8 months ago and 10,000 miles and haven't had a leak yet.

Those drains are prone to leak from there.
fire.....he damaged the fuel filter housing itself on a prior repair.....so it may not be the o rings on that valve......but thanks for the info on the o rings....im sure someone will find that very usefull........Marc
Old 04-04-2006, 08:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

After putting in a new filter I turn the switch on and walked around to see what happened once the bowl got full. The fuel started shooting out from under the the filter cap. I took it back out after marking where the fuel came from. It was the exact spot where the indention was. I priced a new bowl through my dad's friend at the local for dealer they wanted around $350 for one. So i started looking on ebay and found one and ended up winning it for $25. Thanks for the help guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.