Chugging when started..help,help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Chugging when started..help,help

Hi everyone, I had to get on the forum for answers, hope you can help!
I have had problems starting my 1999 7.3 w/126k.. in the cold. I always have to plug it in at home but after work its a real problem.
I just installed new Motorcraft glow plugs, quite the hassel. When you remove the plugs I think a little bit of oil goes down into the glow plug hole...
I went to start it after the swap, HARD/no go. I plugged it in and charged the batteries, gave a small shot (a whiff) into the air filter of start fluid. It kicked and I stopped and returned 2 hrs later..

With the Batteries charged and the block warmer than before the engine started and clacked and shook. I shut it down and the check engine lite came on. This happened for the 3 times that I tried. The last time I let it idle for about 30 sec. The engine throttle did not respond and just shook and clacked. I shut it down and then ran in here to ask you guys what is going on and what to do..

I double checked the electrical plugs that I unhooked. Each glow plug connection were pushed on all the way as a double check prior to closeing up the covers... Heck I don't know.... I need help on this one Thanks for any help...SS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2010, 07:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I guess I will do some answering on my own post......
I went out this AM to start my truck after being pluged in all night.
Well the same thing... I went out and got a new glow plug relay. Am about to install it...
Haven't gotton any replys so far, so I am going it alone.
If this doesen't work I will reinstall my old glow plugs as it did work prior to me putting new ones in..
That is the only difference and change I have made....
Its not an easy job to do but what the heck,,, I guess I'm on my own... Lucky me..................
Old 02-10-2010, 07:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Don't EVER shoot in starting fluid through the air filter. TERRIBLE idea. And only use starting fluid if the glow plugs are off! You can effh up the truck.
You needed to check the GPR and the GPs before just randomly replacing them. Read this, it explains the chugging. It's normal.

Ok here goes. Mine does it too. When it's cold (depends on the temp for each truck, mine is a wimp so 35-40 and down is hard), the oil is cold, so thick, so doesn't flow fast at all. Like cold molasses. But when you plug in the block heater, it does just that: heats the block. Which contains oil and coolant as well as the cylinders so everything flows nicely and combusts nicely too.
Well on each head there is a high pressure oil rail that feeds the injectors. The rail is only so big so cold oil can only flow down to the end so fast. AND it's a dead head rail, just an end, no loop. Oil enters near the front of the cylinders (#2 on the driver side) from the HPOP and gets pushed to the back (#8). Well in the firing order, #8 is RIGHT AFTER #6. So once 6 fires, it depletes what oil there is in the general area. Since the oil is cold, thick, slow, the HPOP can't push enough oil ALL THE WAY to the back of the rail to the 8 injector fast enough before that one fires, so it gets an incomplete injection. Just a normal engineering hiccup right and just has to be that way right? No.
You can either get some synthetic, an oil with a lower weight for the winter, or both. OR you can get a HPO Xover hose. Just bridges the two oil rails at the #3 to #6 cylinder area. So once #6 fires with that thing installed, you have oil coming from the HPOP AND the passenger oil rail to help replenish the rail before #8 fires. Smooths the idle, ESPECIALLY in cold starts. Makes it quieter. Keeps the RPMs very very steady. Had it on a dyno pre and post HPO Xover install. Pre install the RPMs on the comp were varying by about 50 or so. Post instal, didn't move at all. Ok, maybe 2-3.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:45 AM
Serving Our Country!

hey, i may not have a answer to your problem, but try the GPR like you are doing. Maybe the connection to the valve cover came loose?

before you put the old GP's in, and tear it down again.... get a ohm meter, and see what the resistance on the GP's. That might tell you if they are good, bad, or the wiring is bad going to the GP. The wires are the first 2 and last 2 wire on the plug going under the valve covers. looking for the write up, but can not find it.

hope that helps. Some one else might want to chime in for some help
Old 02-10-2010, 07:47 AM

I would check the GPR just to make sure its got 12v on the main leg. Then key on engine off check the other post and make sure you got atleast 12v there too. Other than an electrical connection that you stated before......I would be lost too. I wouldnt think you got a bad set of plugs. Wish I could be of more help.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:48 AM

Glow Plug / AIH Relay locations
Glow Plugs
7.3 glow plug system diagnosis
Stancor Relay Mod!!
Marinco Mod

Winter Operation, Hard Starting, Hissing Sound Etc...
Troubleshooting GPR & GP's

Everything I could find on the GP system. What kind of oil are you running also?
Old 02-10-2010, 08:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you all for the return mail... I unplugged the plug at the valve covers to check if they were in good.... yup No corrosion on the plugs and they are seated fine,,thats out of the way......
I did go down and get a relay.
I just took it off and the poss. side and it was a little bit corroded.
I sanded the base of the plate that it attaches to. I installed the new on.

As far as the oil, that may be a factor as I have 15-40.. I have had the block heater on and this AM I have had my salamander on to warm up the underneath of the truck. The post about the oil I have found on a past post...
As far as the starting fluid---- I sprayed the air filter with a tad...The ignition
was off.. I waited about 4min before I cranked it.. It did kick over and then I shut it down immediatly.
This morning it started but it was nocking and the engine service lite cam on as it did yesterday... It wouldn't stay running, and stalled. then when I tried again it didn't start or kick..
I know in the past yes it does lump away when started and then smooths out.
I have never had a knocking noise like this....
The only things I had to disconnect were,, Valve cover plugs, glow plug wires, the main harness on top of the driver side valve cover, and a hose from the turbo "Y" pipe..
Sorry for the long note but the more info I feel I give you all The better. Thank you for you on going help....ss
I plan on trying again with the new relay soon.. hope things change for the better.....
Old 02-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I'm back... No luck what so ever...... I heated the engine, fuel tank and every other thing that got in the way under the truck.
12v on the hot side of the relay..
No dice
I didn't mind spending the $$ on a new relay it was 10yrs old anyway. The glow plugs probably 10yrs old...

When I turn on the truck, it knocks while I have the starter on, try to let it run but it dosen't fire and stay running.....

I just don't believe it!!!!!!!!!!! Im p*ssed off now!!!!!

I just don't know what to do at this point......

signed: p*ssed in upstate NY..
Old 02-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well,,, my frustrating update as follows.

I tested the relay......fine

I pulled the plugs (connector)on the valve covers... I got my ohm meter (cheepy) and BLACK to ground, RED to the 1st two pins and the last 2 pins on driver side. I got readings about 3.5 on all

Pass. side---- no readings from the first and last 2 pins.....

Tested original plugs on the bench: poss. on plug tip, neg on the threads.
Got a reading of about 1.8.
Now I don't know if this bench test is basically the same as being in the head, I presume so if the threads are in the block and the pin is isolated, seems like it would be the same.. yes--no?

I'm puzzled that no ohms from the pass. side of the block.
Well, I will put this to rest for now. Its snowing and I have to let my blood pressure settle down..
So far thats what I know
Old 02-10-2010, 11:32 AM

If I'm understanding your last post, and a couple before it, the two outside pins on each side should have voltage running through them correct?

If the above is correct, then you shouldn't get an Ohm reading necessarily, by going to ground, because Ohm's just test the resistance of the circuit. To get a true Ohm reading, you should be going from those pins, to the GP, or where those wires plug into the GP. Correct?

I may be way off, but I figured anything that might help ease your frustration a little bit would be a good thing.

Now, if you are not getting any reading whatsoever, that would indicate to me that there is a break in the line somewhere and could possibly be causing some of the problems you are experiencing.

Make sense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.