GUZZLING Oil '03 7.3 - Need Some Insight & Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 05:01 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
GUZZLING Oil '03 7.3 - Need Some Insight & Help

So, It's got 192K miles on it . . . .uses about 2-3 qts per oil change. It's been about 3 weeks since I checked it last, and everything was well within operating range. It sat last weekend from Friday noon to Sunday noon, and it was hard to start Sunday. Checked the oil when I got home and it wasn't even on the dipstick. Added about 5-6 qts . . . . drove to work today and ran some errands, probably drove 50-60 miles total. Jumped in the truck to head home from work, and it started, ran rough, and died as I pulled out of the parking lot. Tried to start several times, finally turned over and immediately died. Checked the oil . . . not even on the dipstick. Added another 6 -7 qts, and it looks like it burned almost a qt in about 10-12 miles on the way home. Kind of at a loss. . . . . It's not leaking anywhere I can see it. Looks like its blowing some smoke (bluish, I think) at start up, but doesn't seem to be blowing enough to warrant that kind of oil loss (especially while driving) What do y'all think, turbo? Injectors? Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

oil burn

Check the fuel filter and see if it is black. could be a few blown o-rings on the injectors and letting oil bad into the fuel. check your coolant also and see if you have any oil in there. I had both problems but mine were not that bad. I have heard that they can really drink the oil if the blow the o-rings badly. Hope this help.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:02 PM

thanks. . . .I'll check the fuel filter in the am. . .any other ideas for mass oil loss without obvious leaks?
Old 02-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i agree injector o rings... oil burns as good as diesel when its warm enough lol.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:04 PM

I didn't have a chance to pull the fuel filter, but I'm a little skeptical of blown injector o-rings because of the amount of oil being used. Seems like a couple of gallons over the course of a day or two is an awful lot to be lost in that manner. What do y'all think?

we'll see, I don't have the time or place to dig into it myself since I'm working out of town. . . . . .took it to Ford's Truck Center (Grande Ford) here in San Antone and let them take a look at it. My buddy followed me to the shop and said it wasn't smoking (that he noticed) but it did smell very strong of burned oil. Maybe I'm pulling into and through the turbo somehow??

I hate taking it to any dealership and just letting them loose without having at least an idea of what the problem is before they start, but I was comforted a little when I dropped it off with their light truck service center and saw every single one of the bays was occupied with 250's and 350's. . . I've heard good things about 'em, so we'll see what they can do for me. I'll be sure to let y'all know what I find. . .Thanks for the input.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:22 AM

My money's on blown orings, Since no obvious leaks and it doesn't smoke out the exhaust like a fogger where else could it be going if not into the fuel?
Old 02-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

o rings or toasted injector(s)
Old 02-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

does your antifreeze have oil in it i just got my 03 out of the shop it had a bad oil cooler mine was down 2 quarts of oil it dident leak anywhere out side it was leaking internal into the antifreeze.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:40 PM

Nothing in the coolant that I could see. . . . . hope to hear back tomorrow with a final verdict. . . . . .
Old 02-22-2010, 04:18 PM

well, here is the verdict:

when they called me they said they couldn't find anything obvious, but suspected o-rings. I asked if they'd checked the fuel filter . . .they hadn't, but when they did go back and check, they reported that it was black. $1600 to replace all the o-rings. . . . . but since they couldn't be sure it was o-rings until is was put all back together, I told them to go ahead and do the injectors. I've got 192K on the truck, and from everything I've read 200K seems to be the magic number for injectors to start failing. . .. I told them to go ahead and replace all 8 injectors. I figured even if they could figure out which one(s) were bad, it would only be a matter of time until another one or the rest failed. . . . . .8 injectors + a wiring harness and I got out of there for a mere $4300. . . . . I better get another 200K out of it.

I do have one question. . . . are these injector failures due to the ULSD change over? If so, is there anything I can add to the fuel and/or oil to help prevent excessive wear and tear on these injectors?

Thanks again for the input. Much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.