Hard cold start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2007, 07:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Hard cold start

Hi Everyone;
Got a 99 f-350 , as long as it is plugged in it starts fine. but when it's cold you have to cycle the plugs several times and it might start and lope and cut off if you don't give it fuel. No power at all with pedal on the floor untill it warms up. Glow plugs are new, system works fine,fuel pressure @ 58 psi. , hpop tank full. New turbo last summer. Once it gets warmed up runs great rest of day,no problem starting. No codes , no light coming on. Thinking along the line of g-rator may be worn out. But as soon as engine starts oil pressure fine. Oil changes every 3000 miles. No smoke cloulds when cranked. Compression @ 400 psi in all cylinders. Has 175,000 on it, does not use oil. I have tried to find a adapter to fit the hp oil gallery so I can check for 500 psi start pressure in each head,and to see if it goes up when pedal is pushed( have a 4000 psi setup) but the threads are 1.25 pitch 12 mm. Anybody get any ideas? I have all-data and I've went through their system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2007, 07:35 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster42 View Post
Hi Everyone;
Got a 99 f-350 , as long as it is plugged in it starts fine. but when it's cold you have to cycle the plugs several times and it might start and lope and cut off if you don't give it fuel. No power at all with pedal on the floor untill it warms up. Glow plugs are new, system works fine,fuel pressure @ 58 psi. , hpop tank full. New turbo last summer. Once it gets warmed up runs great rest of day,no problem starting. No codes , no light coming on. Thinking along the line of g-rator may be worn out. But as soon as engine starts oil pressure fine. Oil changes every 3000 miles. No smoke cloulds when cranked. Compression @ 400 psi in all cylinders. Has 175,000 on it, does not use oil. I have tried to find a adapter to fit the hp oil gallery so I can check for 500 psi start pressure in each head,and to see if it goes up when pedal is pushed( have a 4000 psi setup) but the threads are 1.25 pitch 12 mm. Anybody get any ideas? I have all-data and I've went through their system.
Glow Plug Relay maybe. Seems like everything else seems to be working properly. You say you got new glow plugs. But what about the relay is that working properly.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Unhappy still confused

yes relay works fine ,kinda said that in system works fine, meant glow plug relay too. sorry about that.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. 2000 F-550 7.3. No matter what temp outside, if not plugged in, very hard to start. Checked glow plugs, and relays. all good. once it starts and warms, runs and starts fine. I am at a loss. any suggestions.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

same here. resesrching air in the fuel lines and beleive it or not the pedal assembly.
irritating the &^%$ out of me.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

no start

Although I said the g-rator was fine and was pumping oil, I pulled it off and there were slight grooves in the cover and the gears. I replaced the pump and it worked fine after that. Customer said it still works fine the last time I checked and thats been awhile ago. One other thing I would check is the supply port for the hpop tank, sometimes they get grude in it and slows downs the flow, had that happen on another one Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.